Pool migration to new hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

boaz2020

Cadet
I'm currently running 9.2.1.2-Release.
I'm going to be migrating all my pools to new hardware.
Currently I'm running an Intel Core 2 Quad with 6GB (non-ECC, I know, hence the upgrade) using a mix of onboard SATA ports and a couple add in Silicon Image controllers.
The new system is AMD FX6300 with 16GB (ECC) and an LSI 9211-8i HBA.
I also run a Plex Media Server plugin.

How do I go about this migration?
Do I just move my drives over to the new system along with the thumbdrive, or do I have to export the pools and re-install via ISO, or something else?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Just move the hard drives over and the thumb drive. That is it. This is the beauty of a FreeNAS system.

I can see how that would work for the ZFS pools, but what if the NIC models/names are different on the new hardware? I have a similar situation coming up, and I will want to migrate from an internal USB stick to the internal SD card slot on the new server. I suppose my configuration isn't all that complicated to rebuild, but I was wondering if there is an easier way. I imagine the export configuration option works well if you are rebuilding on the same hardware, but I won't know how well that would work migrating to new hardware.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If the NIC names/models are different, and you've manually configured them on the FreeNAS box, you'll likely need to reconfigure them on the new hardware. If you're using DHCP, it shouldn't be an issue.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You can test this ahead of time and make any adjustments you need to. Simply build up your new system as you desire it and restore the configuration file, you do not need to have your drives moved over yet. See how things work with respect to the network configuration. Of course any jails/plugins and the sort will not work if you do not have the drives installed but you can test out what you are asking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.