Migrating to new hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had a FreeNAS system (FreeNAS-9.10.1-U4) running very successfully for over 2 years. Next month, I want to swap out the old server and move everything to a new system.

My strategy is the following:

1. Detach 2 x volumes
2. Shutdown old server
3. Remove FreeNAS USB stick and install in new server
4. Move hard disks from old server to new server
5. Power-on new server
6. Import 2 x volumes
7. Reconfigure networking on new server

My big fears on this migration are:

a. Changes in disk reference style:

Old server has a mix of disks shown as: /dev/adaX and /dev/daX
New server: Unknown

b. Changes in NIC reference style:

Old server has NICs: igb0 and igb1
New server: Unknown

Are either of my fears well-founded? Is there anything I can do beforehand with the new server to detect and prevent problems?

The old server has mirrored USB sticks for booting FreeNAS. Should I remove one of these USB sticks and take it to the new server even before any of the migration work starts?

Last edited by a moderator:

gpsguy

You shouldn't need the detach and import steps. Just move the disks to the new machine.

Don't worry about device names, FreeNAS keeps track of the disks using GPTID's.

The only issue you might run into, might be related to the NICs. If they are different than igb0, igb1, you'll need to delete the existing references and use the new ones. You can do it using option #1 on the console setup menu.

I would backup / save the current configuration file, before you do the migration.

dvpatel

Dabbler
I have this exact question. I have a N40L as my FreeNAS server. I fire it up, backup my files and power it off. I have new TS440 Thinkserver gathering dust due to an abandoned project. I'd like to move the disks over. Problem is, I am on FreeNAS 8.3.1 which is very old. Plus, my USB thumbdrive running FreeNAS is only 2.0 GB (an old Sandisk Cruzer). I am running 3 x 4TB data drives with a single volume running Raid Z1.

I have new thumbdrive but do not have any new HDDs. So, I need to re-use the 3 x 4TB disks and I would love to not lose that backup. Yes I do have a 2nd copy but 1.5 TB is a lot to lose and re-backup. :)

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I would certainly detach and import, on the grounds that the ZFS metadata for the pool then indicates that everything is copacetic for the next import, and, that there's no reason not to do it.

dvpatel

Dabbler
So detach from old system, install the latest version of FreeNAS on the new system on a new thumbdrive and then move the storage HDDs over and import?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
So detach from old system, install the latest version of freeNAS on the new system on a new thumbdrive and then move the storage HDDs over and import?
Indeed. You should find it quite painless. "Detach" (that's the FreeNAS language---"export" is the proper ZFS language) the pool(s), install FreeNAS on the new machine, then you have two choices:

1) Start from a fresh config, and import your pool.
2) Try to bring your config over to the new system---if you desire that.

It should be seamless.

dvpatel

Dabbler
Thank you. I do not need to bring over the configuration. I do not have anything fancy. Just a share called storage. I should be able to configure that on the new server fairly easily.

Time is something I have issues with. Hopefully, in the next week or two I will report back as to how this went.

Thank you for your help.

gpsguy

Resist the temptation to immediately upgrade your pool. If you run into any problems or run out of time, you can fall back to the old version.

dvpatel

Dabbler
Yes. That is the plan. But I am very worried because of the vast difference in going from 8.3.1 to 11.1.

I will back up all my data off the server and the config just-in-case.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Make sure your hardware supports the current minimum requirements: 8GB of RAM, at least 8GB of space on the boot device, preferably more.

Status
Not open for further replies.