Plugins are not working after update to newest stable version

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelle peters

Dabbler
last night i had an power outage, my freenas box is running on an ups so i shut down my freenas box the next morning i turned it back on because the power was back, i updated to the newest version because there was one available, unfortunately now my plugins dont work anymore and i cant install new plugins because it does not show the available plugins to install them. does anyone know how to fix this?
the plugins are running but do nothing at all.
screenshots are below: ask for more if you need to help me solve this problem.
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_3.png

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Are you sure freenas still sees your storage pool?

jelle peters

Dabbler
Are you sure freenas still sees your storage pool?
how do you mean that? i am able to access my files via my windows computer... and my plugins are running at the moment, is it being slow but the list of installable plugins i still cannot see

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
My bad. I missed where you said that the jails were running.

You could try a restart, if that doesn't work, try to boot to the previous working boot image version.

jelle peters

Dabbler
My bad. I missed where you said that the jails were running.

You could try a restart, if that doesn't work, try to boot to the previous working boot image version.

so i can burn an older copy of freenas on to an usb drive and via the update tab update my freenas box to an older version?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
No. Every time freenas updates, it takes a snapshot of the boot drive. You can pick a different snapshot when you boot. Just pick the previous version.

jelle peters

Dabbler
No. Every time freenas updates, it takes a snapshot of the boot drive. You can pick a different snapshot when you boot. Just pick the previous version.
thank you for the help, but that does not seem to work for me, i tried rebooting the system and then i only saw one freenas version to boot. or is that not ho i am supposed to do that?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm betting your problem is insufficient RAM. 8GB is the minimum if you are running no jail or plugins. If you run plugins and/or jails you need more than 8GB. More than likely some process is terminating in a bad way because of insufficient RAM and you're seeing the consequences of that.

You're probably going to say "but the old build worked fine so why would it start having problems now". The problem is that out of RAM problems can come with no warning, and can go away with the next build. 8GB of RAM really is the minimum if you don't plan to do anything advanced (jails and plugins definitely call into the 'advanced' category). We've seen this a lot and the only thing I can say is you need to add more RAM or not use plugins/jails. :(

jelle peters

Dabbler
I'm betting your problem is insufficient RAM. 8GB is the minimum if you are running no jail or plugins. If you run plugins and/or jails you need more than 8GB. More than likely some process is terminating in a bad way because of insufficient RAM and you're seeing the consequences of that.

You're probably going to say "but the old build worked fine so why would it start having problems now". The problem is that out of RAM problems can come with no warning, and can go away with the next build. 8GB of RAM really is the minimum if you don't plan to do anything advanced (jails and plugins definitely call into the 'advanced' category). We've seen this a lot and the only thing I can say is you need to add more RAM or not use plugins/jails. :(

thank you for your reply,
if 8 gb is the minimum, why is my system only using 4 gb when it is running with a max to 4.5 if i read the statistics?

jelle peters

Dabbler
thank you for the help, but that does not seem to work for me, i tried rebooting the system and then i only saw one freenas version to boot. or is that not ho i am supposed to do that?
i did it wrong, this actually worked for me, thanks everyone!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I'm not sure where you are getting your "used" or "free", but some RAM is kept free at all times because if the ARC has to resize itself it does not happen instantly. If a process suddenly needs more RAM it needs to be free to allocate that space immediately. If not.... bad things happen. Totally normal and totally expected. While 4GB of RAM is a large percentage of RAM, it's a small quantity of RAM by today's standards and with all of the possible services you could be running. If your system had 128GB of RAM you'd probably see around 12GB free. That's just par for the course and is necessary so that if the kernel needs more RAM suddenly you don't have a kernel panic.

I said that I don't know where you are getting your numbers from because in some cases the "free" RAM includes RAM that is actually used by the ARC. Why people try to do things like that is beyond me. But it is what it is. So you may have no RAM free (!!) and the ARC is nearly all of the RAM that isn't "used". I don't deal with systems as small as yours as a course of business (my system was built with 32GB of RAM to start) and I've seen many systems with problems because of insufficient RAM. I generally don't dwell on those kinds of problems or spend a lot of time on them because the answer won't change because I know more about it. The answer would still be "add more RAM".

Status
Not open for further replies.