Plugin List Empty, can't ping download.freenas.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

maij

Cadet
Hello,

I recently deleted transmission to try and make a fresh install of it after messing around with some settings, however after I deleted it the plugin list would show up blank.

I have configured my default gateway and my nameservers, I can ping www.google.com as an example. Attempting to ping download.freenas.org (correctly identified as 64.62.136.38) yields all packets lost. It doesn't appear to be a local issue either, as I can access this address from my desktop via http.

My current build is: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201502270750

My repo is: http://download.freenas.org/plugins/9/x64/pbi-meta/pbi-repo.rpo

I've attached my debug report, though I'm not sure if anything relevant is there.

Attachments

• debug-freenas-20150304170109.tgz
    586.9 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
download.freenas.org doesn't respond to pings. ;)

You know, I didn't answer last week because I figured if I looked at the debug I'd find something silly like bad or inappropriate hardware and I figured someone would call you out on it. Turns out, nobody did.

You have 4GB of RAM and a Celeron. You have an Atheros chipset for your networking. So yeah, inappropriate and insufficient hardware. You *cannot* run with less than 8GB of RAM and expect things to work right. The scripts that do the magic when you click stuff in the WebGUI terminate inappropriately when there is insufficient RAM, then you end up with things not showing up in the WebGUI or things being corrupted.

So yeah, I'm calling this totally self-inflicted. Please do NOT ask for help with inappropriate and insufficient hardware. Even if that *isn't* the problem people are going to make the assumption that if you didn't care enough to buy proper and adequate hardware they aren't going to care enough to bother responding.

Whattteva

Wizard
I'd try nslookup before ping to see if you can even resolve DNS queries.
If you still want to stick with ping, ping an IP address (ie. 8.8.8.8) instead. That way, you don't have to rely on DNS queries that can fail.
If your nslookup fails but ping 8.8.8.8 works, then you just have to fix the DNS server setting where you're resolving queries from.

maij

Cadet
Thanks for the replies,

@cyberjock

I'm well aware that my RAM is below the recommended minimum, this is simply an interim solution before I purchased another stick. I've read through your hardware guide and am unsure of why you're against the Celeron or the Atheros chipset. I thought support had been added for the eth driver as of v9.3

I was just confused as to why it was working fine before but has suddenly stopped working, but I guess I'll just have to buy more RAM before I can be sure if there is a problem or not. Are you saying I need a new CPU and Mobo?

Thanks again for the help.

@Whattteva

My DNS servers work fine, I stated in the initial post that the DNS does tell me correctly that download.freenas.org was 64.62.136.38, I'm confident in my internet access from my freeNAS box.

Whattteva

Wizard
Ah, my mistake. I kinda' took a really quick glance and spotted ping but didn't read the rest (particularly where you resolved the IP address). It doesn't seem like you have any network issues. I guess the only other thing to address is cyberjock's suggestions on hardware.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Celerons make bad servers because their CPU cache is so small it bottlenecks the system much too easily. You didn't really have to know why I was against the Celerons, but the fact that I hadn't mentioned them should have made you wonder why they were excluded. That should have been enough to have you ask before you bought. The other downside is that many of the scripts have timeouts set and if the system can't keep up, you get a timeout. Boom, same problem as insufficient RAM.

Atheros may be "supported", but it is far far far from being something that is recommended. Realtek is "supported' but it's crap, and there's probably 1000 users who have personally seen that with their own hardware.

It's stuff like this that is why I put in my noobie presentation that you should NOT assume that your Windows experience makes you an expert at picking FreeBSD hardware. It's more of a liability because you assume you know more than FreeBSD experts and then make poor choices that end badly.

If I were you I'd buy a new CPU and motherboard, and have at least 8GB of ECC RAM.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Celerons are ECC compliant?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Some are officially supporting ECC. Some aren't.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Ok, thanks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.