SOLVED Plex service won't start after database restore

cdiddy

Dabbler
edit: it looks like it was permissions the whole time. From within the jail, i had to set the plexdata-plexpass directory ownership to root:wheel, and the two contained directories (Plex and Plex Media Server) to chown -R plex:plex. I thought i'd tried that, but i must have done it from outside the jail.

----------------------------------------------------------
I am trying to get my /usr/local/plexdata-plexpass directory mounted outside the jail so I don't lose all my settings and metadata when I upgrade or something else happens. Every time I try, the plex service refuses to start. I have rc_debug="YES" added to rc.conf, the following code snippit is the only thing I have found so far that seems even remotely relevant, there is nothing that seems relevant in /var/log/messages and i really have no idea where else to look for possible error messages. None of the logs in plexdata-plexpass/Plex Media Server/Logs have any info past the timestamp when the server was last running.
Code:
root@pmstest:~ # service plexmediaserver_plexpass start
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver_plexpass: DEBUG: pid file (/var/run/plex/plex.pid): not readable.
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver_plexpass: DEBUG: checkyesno: plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable is set to YES.
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver_plexpass: DEBUG: run_rc_command: start_precmd: plex_precmd
Starting plexmediaserver_plexpass.
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver_plexpass: DEBUG: run_rc_command: doit:  limits -C daemon  su -m plex -c 'sh -c "/usr/sbin/daemon  -f /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver-plexpass/Plex_Media_Server"'
root@pmstest:~ # service plexmediaserver_plexpass status
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver_plexpass: DEBUG: pid file (/var/run/plex/plex.pid): not readable.
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver_plexpass: DEBUG: checkyesno: plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable is set to YES.
plexmediaserver_plexpass is not running.
root@pmstest:~ #

When i delete the jail's plexdata-plexpass mount point and copy in the plexdata-plexpass directory i backed up from a brand new jail/pkg install, then the plex service will start (after i
Code:
chown -R plex:plex
the entire plexdata-plexpass directory). But the backup i made from a working server full of metadata seems to not allow the plex service to start even after i chown it to plex:plex.

I suspect it is somehow permissions related, since the blank/fresh plexdata directory does the same thing (service wont start) until i chown it to plex:plex.

your help is kindly appreciated!

Last edited: