Plex Plugin using 100% CPU

8ender

Cadet
When I updated to 11.2 I decided to start fresh with my Plex Jail and install using the new iocage plugins from the UI. This went well but I've noticed that /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Plex_Media_Server is using 100% CPU constantly.

I thought I'd maybe misconfigured it so I deleted the Jail and made a brand new empty Plex instance and it's still using 100% CPU somehow. Any ideas on how to diagnose this?

nojohnny101

Wizard
Does this happen if you create a new jail before you import your media?

This can happen when you dump a bunch of new media because plex has to find metadata, create thumbnails (depending on your settings), etc.

8ender

Cadet
Yeah a brand new jail with no media added at all. I haven't even logged in to plex inside the web UI.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Have you checked host (freenas host) logs and/or plex logs?

8ender

Cadet
I set Plex to verbose mode but didn't see anything out of the ordinary in the logs. Weird thing is that Plex works just fine. The media scanner seems to spawn it's own process so it's not that soaking up CPU

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Plex will scan your media and create thumbnails and download metadata when first installed. You should should see the activity in the webui of plex.

8ender

Cadet
Plex will scan your media and create thumbnails and download metadata when first installed. You should should see the activity in the webui of plex.

Totally understand how the scanner works. This is a brand new Plex jail with no libraries added. I haven't even signed into Plex from the WebUI.

I've managed to discover a clue today which is that if I disable the jails IPV4 access it doesn't ramp up to 100% CPU.