SOLVED Plex plugin setup issue with Truenas Core TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1

lordvue

Cadet
This is my first Nas and I've been struggling to setup Plex Media Server for the past 2 days, so any help would be truly appreciated. The issue I'm having is that after getting the Plex plugin installed and I go to the admin gui to manage, I always get the same error response saying "Not Authorized" after putting in a plex account. I can't get past that to continue configuring Plex.

Troubleshotting Step Tried:
I've tried the following and it all results to the same:
1. Uninstall and reinstall of the plugin
2. Use script to install plex instead of using the plugin to install
3. Modify Preferences.xml in the jail to include pc ip address in each scenario
4. Use default DHCP settings in each scenario
5. Use static ip in each scenario

1676059922695.png

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
More details on your setup, please, per the Forum Rules. In particular, please screenshot your Network->Network Summary to confirm the host has good connectivity to the Internet. Then, inside the Plex plugin shell, run ifconfig epair0b.

victort

Guru
This is my first Nas and I've been struggling to setup Plex Media Server for the past 2 days, so any help would be truly appreciated. The issue I'm having is that after getting the Plex plugin installed and I go to the admin gui to manage, I always get the same error response saying "Not Authorized" after putting in a plex account. I can't get past that to continue configuring Plex.

Troubleshotting Step Tried:
I've tried the following and it all results to the same:
1. Uninstall and reinstall of the plugin
2. Use script to install plex instead of using the plugin to install
3. Modify Preferences.xml in the jail to include pc ip address in each scenario
4. Use default DHCP settings in each scenario
5. Use static ip in each scenario

View attachment 63445
I hope it’s ok if I point (again) to this script.

Scripted Plex Installation

It’s just overall better in the long run than a plug-in.

jst

Cadet
I am getting the same error message... Other plugins seem to work fine.

@victort Are you saying that the plugin installation isn't working and that we should try the scripted installation instead? Thanks!

@victort Are you saying that the plugin installation isn't working and that we should try the scripted installation instead? Thanks!
"Plugins" are not being maintained or supported. Consider them deprecated on Core.

You'll have to resort to either manually creating and maintaining your own jails, or use premade scripts (such as above) if you want to use something that resebmles "Plugins" on Core.

lordvue

Cadet
More details on your setup, please, per the Forum Rules. In particular, please screenshot your Network->Network Summary to confirm the host has good connectivity to the Internet. Then, inside the Plex plugin shell, run ifconfig epair0b.
I've updated my signature with that info. Thanks.

I also ran the ifconfig command in the jail and below screenshot is the output. As far as I can tell, connectivity is fine to the internet:

Code:
plexuser@pms1:~ # ifconfig epair0b
epair0b: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 13:e4:01:f2:09:89
        hwaddr 02:f5:3d:b0:4d:0c
        inet 172.168.25.49 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.168.25.255
        groups: epair
        media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)
        nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>

Network Summary:

Interfaces

Name: re0
IPv4 Address: 172.168.25.220/24
IPv6 Address:

Default Routes

router: 172.168.25.1

Nameservers

dns: 8.8.8.8
dns: 8.8.4.4

lordvue

Cadet

Samuel Tai

I regret to inform you your system has a Realtek NIC. Also, why are you using 172.168 instead of 192.168 or 172.16? 172.168 isn't a recognized private IP subnet, and you could be conflicting with a real network out in the Internet. Also likely is you've inadvertantly IPed yourself onto one of Plex's block lists.

lordvue

Cadet

lordvue

Cadet
I regret to inform you your system has a Realtek NIC. Also, why are you using 172.168 instead of 192.168 or 172.16? 172.168 isn't a recognized private IP subnet, and you could be conflicting with a real network out in the Internet. Also likely is you've inadvertantly IPed yourself onto one of Plex's block lists.
Thanks @Samuel Tai! This was the problem! If you’re still having this issue after adding your network to the Preferences.xml, re-installing from the plug-in and or the Plex install script. Check and make sure you are using private ip ranges. I didn’t realize I was not using private ip ranges and corrected that. All seems to be working now.

jst

Cadet
@lordvue Did you get it to work for the plugin or script install?

That said, I am using a private 10.10.68.0/24 network and so my issue might be different.

Code:
ifconfig
igb0: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=4e523bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWFILTER,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6,NOMAP>
        ether 00:30:48:f2:82:48
        inet 10.10.68.4 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.10.68.255
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
        nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>

Anyhow, happy to hear that it is working for you now!

lordvue

Cadet
@lordvue Did you get it to work for the plugin or script install?

That said, I am using a private 10.10.68.0/24 network and so my issue might be different.

Code:
ifconfig
igb0: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=4e523bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWFILTER,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6,NOMAP>
        ether 00:30:48:f2:82:48
        inet 10.10.68.4 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.10.68.255
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
        nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>

Anyhow, happy to hear that it is working for you now!
It worked for both, so I just went with the plugin since I wanted to be able to see the service within the gui. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by your second question, but my NAS is able to reach the internet. It might be worthwhile to start your own thread with your specs and all your troubleshooting steps for the more experience members to provide help.

jst

Cadet
It worked for both, so I just went with the plugin since I wanted to be able to see the service within the gui. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by your second question, but my NAS is able to reach the internet. It might be worthwhile to start your own thread with your specs and all your troubleshooting steps for the more experience members to provide help.
Thank you for your reply. I was just wondering if you can reach your TrueNAS (and Plex) server over the internet. I can only reach mine through a VPN at the moment. Just wondering if there is a Plex connectivity requirement I am missing...

Samuel Tai

@jst, please start your own thread, as @lordvue suggested.