Plex Plugin Access denied - no soup for me, public IP?

garpex

Cadet
Hey everyone,

I'm setting up my first NAS and am stuck on setting up Plex. That said I also have to mention that I'm only used to Windows and FreeBSD/TrueNAS are completly new to me.
I installed it using the standard basic plugin installer, received no errors while doing so, but when I try to modify it I just receive a prompt to login using my plex.tv account and then I'm greeted with the main page without entering any inital setup. Upon reloading I then only get the "no soup" error message. The Plex GUI looks pretty standard, but lacks all server-related options.
I believe the problem has something to do with the NAS' IP as it, like my PC, starts with 137.xxx.xxx.xxx I think it is some sort of public adress. This network is managed by my school however, so I am limited to my machines in terms of what I can change. I furthermore also lack in depth-networking skills to really assess the situation network-wise.

So far I tried the following:
Reinstalling, checking the preferences.xml (at root/Plex Media Server/; for any additional information, I even tried adding my network as allowedNetworks="137.193.xxx.0/255.255.255.0"), setting up a plex user with UID 972 and write access for the jail's folders and subdatasets had no effect.
I also tried connecting my PC to the NAS directly, but then the NAS only printed out 0.0.0.0 as its IP so I couldnt even connect the web GUI. It might be worth chasing down this path, but I dont know if it would work.

I noticed that a lot of other people received this error message too and many threads did not deliver solutions, so I am now pretty disheartened and hope that you can help me out with this.

My System:
intel Pentium G5420
Fujitsu D3644B Mainboard with some Intel network adapter
1 Pool of 4 6TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD with configured and working SMB shares
NVMe M2 SSD as System Drive
connected to my Windows 10 PC using some old Netgear Router, that acts only as a switch (I guess, as my IPs arent 192.xxx like). I also cant access it anymore for some reason (as in I dont know its IP, IP scans brought up all kinds of devices but this and if it works as a switch it might not even have an IP, I guess?)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You really DO want your FreeNAS to be behind a firewall of some sort, and not live on the Internet. I leave that issue to you to fix, and instead I'm going to focus a bit on Plex.

Plex kinda sucks for what you are doing. They have a super-strong mentality focused on typical home-user "behind-a-NAT" deployments.

Now, I don't have any specific experience with Plex in that sort of environment, because, well, I have a real network available to me, both at home and at our data centers. I also don't run Plex on FreeNAS. But I can give you a little visibility into what it took to get Plex spun up recently.

1) Set up a private network, any RFC1918 seems to work, which will be your "inside" network. Make sure it has NAT connectivity to the Internet.

2) Attach one interface to your Plex setup and assign an IP.

3) Go grab my freebsd-browser-vm script and put a host on the private network that can run a web browser. Or a PC. Or a laptop. Or whatever.

When you do this, you will be able to use the browser to reach the local Plex server on the RFC1918 address, and it will recognize that it is not currently managed. When you then log in on plex.tv, it should run you through a process to claim your server, and then you can move forward from there.

G8One2

Patron
The "no soup for you" error, is because you're not on the same subnet as the plex jail you have running (at least that's what does it for me). If you're connected through wifi on a different subnet than your plex machine, it will cause the "no soup for you" error. This is only for initial setup, and once you log into your plex account and claim the server, you will no longer have this issue. You need to manually hardwire your PC to the same LAN as your plex jail, or get your wireless on the same subnet. This happens all the time, I don't know why this doesn't come up in searches......

garpex

Cadet
Thank you for your replies. I managed to solve the issue by buying a modern router and created my own subnet. Within it plex works now, but it cant be reached from the outside. I reckon that my schools network nullifies my port forwarding and I might be stuck in a double NAS situation.
But I guess I better ask on the plex forums now that this initial problem is fixed

G8One2

Patron
Make sure remote access is enabled in Plex server settings. You aslo need a Plex account to claim the server. Port 32400 may need to be forwarded to the Plex machine depending on your network.