Plex jail storage usage very high

butterwrath

Dabbler
I had initially mirrored 2 500 gb SSDs for my Jail storage and never had any issues. The initial Plex was installed through the jail, NOT using the plugin. Couple months ago, I've been having problems with codex errors and many of my movies weren't playing, so I created a new server using the plugin. The new jail took up almost 300 gb of space, and got memory usage alert >90% (I still had data from the old jail and it only took up 32 gb). Only thing I found was to disable and remove video preview thumbnails, and I did, but did not solve the problem. The next thing I thought was to upgrade both drives to 1 tb drives in case the plugin needed more space for archiving... Now, 6 months later, I noticed my jail drive usage is >80%. The Plex plugin jail is now at 640 gb. Any ideas what the cause might be and how I can fix this? I haven't added that much media since the re-install.

Are your transcodes and/or "optimized videos" being saved within the jail itself?

Sounds like a mounting issue and/or you're inadvertently keeping copies of "optimized" media without realizing it.

butterwrath

Dabbler
Are your transcodes and/or "optimized videos" being saved within the jail itself?

Sounds like a mounting issue and/or you're inadvertently keeping copies of "optimized" media without realizing it.
Thank you for your reply! I don't optimize any of my media. I did notice that my largest directory is the root directory of my Plex Plugin iocage, but I'm pretty sure my mount points were following what the guides instructed to do:

Source:
/mnt/MediaTank/Media

Destination:
/mnt/SSD_Jails/iocage/jails/Plex_Plugin/root/mnt

Did I somehow botch this?

That appears correct.

What about:
Code:
zfs list -r -t filesystem -o space SSD_Jails/iocage/jails

Code:
zfs list -t filesystem -o space MediaTank/Media

pschatz100

Guru
My Plex jail takes about 6Gb of space. I create my jails manually, so I have no experience with the Plex plugin but 300 Gb sounds excessive.

In a default installation of Plex, there is a directory named "media' in the path JAILNAME/root. I cannot say for certain the same will be true for the plugin, but if the plugin creates this directory then maybe you accidentally put some of your shows in the "media" directory inside the jail. It would be easy to get confused when assigning the storage locations to media types in the Plex interface.

buhraxz1

Cadet
Hey i have the same problem, my jail in now at 1.34TB ?!?!?:eek:
Thats way to big.
Info: i have 940 movies mostly blu-rays, 2438 episodes of tv shows (54 shows). This is a total of 12,2TB
So if plex uses 1.34TB that's 10.98% of the media size i just set it up 3 weeks ago, i had a issue before where plex used 10tb and fucked up my server. I use plex a lot and like it but this issue is troubling me.

I tried Truenas Scale and it seemed like plex did not make this mess, but i had to many problems with scale crashing every day or 2, so i went back to core and its been running fine.
Any suggestions :smile:
Br Buhraxz1

Attachments

• plex2 problem.JPG
    plex2 problem.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 51