Plex jail moved from HD to SSD, why HD still being accessed constantly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

file_haver

Explorer
Hey everyone,

This is my latest confusion on my FreeNAS server which is mostly a glorified Plex server. I have a volume made up of many drives (we'll call this Volume A) and then a volume for my Plex server which is just a single SSD.

My plex jail and files used to be on a single hard drive which i had set up as its own volume. None of these files were very important since they would be easy to get back if the drive failed so i just set up that single drive and let Plex have it. (we'll call this Volume B)

Eventually i had a 512gb SSD lying around i had no real use for and my Plex media would fit on it so i set that SSD up as its own volume and then moved my Plex jail to that SSD. Then i removed the single hard drive that was its own volume. (we'll call this Volume C)

Now even though everything's been moved to the volume which is just the SSD, i hear a hard drive seeking every few minutes while Plex is playing a show, or even going thru the file list on Plex while connected to that server. If i go and look at the Reporting section I see a lot of reading and no writing from the SSD but a LOT of writes to my Volume A, which has nothing to do with plex.

Is this all log related stuff? Should i set up a SSD just for logs to prevent these writes? My drives in Volume A are both getting pretty old and i know i should replace at least one of them soon so i'd like to prevent Plex from causing too many writes until i figure out why that volume is being written to and how i can prevent it best.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Almost certainly the round robin logs. There is a place in the advance system config to move those to a different dataset (e.g., onto the SSD if you wanted).

file_haver

Explorer
Thanks so much! Is there any easy way to test each drive in the system relatively quickly? If not i will ssh and make some dummy files until i find which one is being so noisy.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Sorry, I don't understand your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.