Disapearing File, Data Still Present

Sebastianws

Dabbler
First time posting, please let me know if I need to change or clarify anything. Sorry if I get some terms wrong or I stuff it up a little!

I have FreeNAS-11.1-U7 running on an old PC that I run a Plex server off. I haven't used it in a long time and I does not store anything critical.

I went to remove a file filled with tv kids shows and place it on a hard drive just to free up some space. I cut the file from the folder in my Plex volume and pasted it in a hard-drive plugged in to my PC. The file disappeared from the Plex volume and appeared in the hard-drive but no copying commenced. I waited a good 20 min with nothing happening so I rebooted the PC. After the reboot the file was appearing empty in the hard-drive and it seem all the data is still in the Plex volume as the 'used space' remained the same. But the folder does not appear in the Plex volume so I can no longer access that data.

I dont have a snapshot to role back to as its wasnt turned on (im not sure why, I was under the impression I had set snapshots up my I must have made a mistake, totally my bad), so Im wondering if someone knows of another way to recover the contents?

Im not sure what other info I can add to assist in clarifying the issue so please let me know and ill greatfuly give as much much explanations as possible!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Try restarting your plex jail... there's a still to be fixed bug that means in some cases that jail mounts hold the free space back until a restart.

Sebastianws

Dabbler
I restarted the Jail but the folder didn't reappear, I restarted the entire server as well but that didn't fix it ether.
Any other ideas?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
OK; can you elaborate your dataset and directory structure a bit... perhaps we're looking at a dataset/directory collision?

Sebastianws

Dabbler
Hi Sretalla,

Sorry for the very slow reply, due to every thing that's going on I'm now home all day so I promise to be more snappy with the responses!

the datasets (which I believe to be the same as volumes, is that correct?) Is set up as a 2TB mirror.
Mirror2TB has two main folders beneath it (screenshot attached)
- Files
- Plex

And one jail for my Plex server to run in.

Does this answer your question? sorry if its far to vague.

Attachments

• FreeNAS Volumes.png
    FreeNAS Volumes.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 143

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
the datasets (which I believe to be the same as volumes, is that correct?)
Pools would equate to volumes, datasets are a lower level (although all pools/volumes have a "root dataset" with the same name as the pool/volume, so it gets confusing).

Can you show the result from ls -l /mnt/Mirror2TB ?

Sebastianws

Dabbler
Right ok, that makes sense. That was a good way of putting it!

This was the output from: ls -l /mnt/Mirror2TB

mirror.png

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
OK, how about ls -l /mnt/Mirror2TB/Plex ?

Sebastianws

Dabbler
AAmntMirror2TBPlex.png

Yeah the file does not appear there as well. 'kids' was definitely within that same group of folders and I have checked within all of those folders as well to ensure that I didnt acedentaly move it. But I could not find it.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
OK, so let's see if we can get to the place that has all the files:

du -sh /mnt/Mirror2TB/Plex

Sebastianws

Dabbler
That just returns:
mirror plex.png

So nothing new... all those other folders (TV, Music, Movies, etc) are not made within the FreeNAS Volumes but from when I remotly access the Plex folder from my desktop (like you would make a normal folder withing another local folder).

sretalla