Plex DVR Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianwi

Guru
Anyone playing with this on FreeNAS?

I've just ordered a HDHomeRun and it should be arriving tomorrow. I really didn't want to run the beta version and screw up my existing Plex jail, so decided to create a separate one to install the beta in that. All up and running, so hopefully just a case of connecting it to the tuner.

I've also decided to set-up a dedicated folder for DVR content, rather than just adding to my existing TV Shows folder. This might change when/if I pull things back together, but I think over the last few years I've become more risk averse to breaking stuff, and feel happier running older, stable releases, than being at the bleeding edge with everything. I'm sure some of this is down to using FreeNAS, and becoming so dependant on the services I'm running on it, so thanks :D

D

dlavigne

Have you had a chance to try it out yet? If so, what do you think?

adrianwi

Guru
After a few days playing with it, in a word I'd say "meh" :D

I can see the potential, although I think both the hardware (HDHomeRun) and Plex have some way to go. They keep talking about 'cutting the cord' and 'stop input switching' but for my TV use in the UK this doesn't provide either, although is small step in the right direction. In theory, I could use my Apple TV to watch pretty much everything OTA (not through Plex though) but the experience isn't as good and for the time being I'll still be switching between Virgin Media, Plex, IPTV, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.