Plex can't access my library

Status
Not open for further replies.

ledieu

Dabbler
Hello
I'm pretty new to freenas and for the past 3 months it's just been running as a NAS without any other functions.
Now I wanted to enable Plex but I ran into a problem.
I Installed plex, went to jails ->add storage and added my media folder as source and the media subfolder in the plex jail as destination as I've seen in some howto videos.
I then opened up the plex service and tried to add the library and it can see my subfolders audio and video but beyond there it sees them as empty.

I have my media folder set up with the permissions for read write and excecute for the owner and only read rights for the rest. I've seen that in the videos they granted full access to the media folder to "Other". I don't want the other people in my network to be abled to mess with the files just read them. Is this the problem? Is there a way to circumvent it?

Hope this question isn't too stupid. I couldn't find anything related with the search or google in general.

i forgot to mention: im running the latest stable version of 9.10

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You probably want "read" and "execute" permissions. However, wouldn't it be best to simply do the "add storage" as "read only"? That's an option when you add the storage. That's how mine is set up.

ledieu

Dabbler
Hi thanks for the reply
I just found this thread https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/mount-points-and-storage-for-plex-media-server.14828/which seems to detail my problem. I'm gonna try their solution and come back if something changes.
I didn't really see that plex creates a new user. I will just delete the whole jail, reinstall everything according to their solution and hope it works.
I'll let you know if it does or I'm still stuck

edit:
still no changes. I even created a seperate share with one file in it that hat 777 permissions
i now reread the howto here and thought this was the solution. I deleted the plugin, restarded the server and installed plex like in the thread. I mounted my library via the gui but when i type in the "ls -l /mnt" command it returns "total 0"

I also tried to look for a plex user, to add it to the group that has the right permission but i cant find it under account->users

Edit2:

In the manual I saw that you had to creat a user same as the one used in the jail
I tried looking at the passwd file in etc but I can't find the username
Is there a better howto describing how to add storage to a jail?

Last edited:

ledieu

Dabbler
That's what I'm referring to. I opened the passwd file in etc but I couldn't see anything that looked like a username except for root but I doubt plex is running as root

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.