Plex 0.9.11.4.739_1 refusing to start after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus33

Patron
Seems to install fine and works tell you reboot then it wont start.

Jail running fine and this is a fresh install of 9.3 without any other issues.

Unsure if this is a plex issue or 9.3 issue.

There were a few revisions on the last plex port so its possiable that it a bad port of plex.

Anyone else seeing this?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Port works for me. Does Plex support 9.3?

Magnus33

Patron
The previous plex worked fine in the 9.3 beta's its only tell this one that it refuses to start after reboot.

If its working in a previous version of windows after a reboot then its likely its 9.3

J

jkh

Huh. Works for me! I'm running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412091831 + Plex 0.9.11.4.739_1 and it works perfectly.

Magnus33

Patron
Repeated three times with a fresh install each time.

Installs and runs fine tell a reboot is done then it refuses to start although the jail itself is up and running.

J

jkh

I wish I knew what was different. I have 3 plex + FreeNAS 9.3 installs and all of them are working perfectly.

Magnus33

Patron
Have to check the drives for hidden files iam wondering if 9.3 beta didn't correctly clean up after themselves.

I got a nasty suspicion that freenas 9.3 installs easily but it doesn't clean up after itself very will.

Other then a bug its the only think i can think of anything else off hand that would through things out of whack.
I vaguely remember code being left over from early 9.3 beta that wasn't probably removed.

Last edited:

Magnus33

Patron
Completely reproducible every single time.

Fresh usb
Fresh drive
Install 9.3 add drive add test media too it and install plex.
Plex installs and runs but once its rebooted a single time the plex plugin refuses to start even though the jail is up and running.

Magnus33

Patron
Think i know whats happening.
If you change permissions to the drive with the jail or the jail data set plex refuses to start.

Previous versions were not affected by this and its related directly to 9.3.
A bug but at least it can be worked around tell its fixed.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So you are saying you changed the permissions of the jail dataset in freenas? You should probably not do that and you have zero reasons to ever do that.

Magnus33

Patron
I changed it on the drive which of course affects the plex jail.

Regardless though if you just adding to the permissions rather then removing them plex should not be affected and never was tell 9.3 final.
Reducing permissions of course would through a wrench into the works but that's not something i ever done or anyone else should do.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
you are changing permission of the jail dataset or of a dataset being mounted into the jail?

never change permission levels or ownership of the jail datasets. these are OS and application files that need specific permissions to run.

always mount a dataset into the jail with your own files. this dataset you can do whatever you want with permission wise.

Magnus33

Patron
you are changing permission of the jail dataset or of a dataset being mounted into the jail?

never change permission levels or ownership of the jail datasets. these are OS and application files that need specific permissions to run.

always mount a dataset into the jail with your own files. this dataset you can do whatever you want with permission wise.

Removing permissions would certainly break things.
But adding permissions never has and shouldn't in anyway affect the plex itself tell the 9.3 final and its last beta.

Regardless as i already mentioned i never changed that i merely changed permissions on the drive it was into to increase them.
This of course affects everything in it as it should.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
some stuff does break from adding permissions. I think some daemon don't start if they see that certain files are world readable.

in any case, just mount a dataset into a fresh plex jail, set whatever permissions you want on that dataset, and everything should work

Magnus33

Patron
I changed permissions before hand on the drive then added the jail to avoid the problem.

A bug reports been filed since any permission changes to the drive now kick plex offline unlike previous versions of freenas and only been a recent development in the last beta/final.
Should be a easy fix since its worked in previous versions.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Nope it behaves the same prior to 9.3 as it does in 9.3, you must be doing something different this time and don't realize it. Changing permissions of a jail is like doing a "chmod -R 777 /" on your desktop computer. I bet it wouldn't boot after doing that either.

Magnus33

Patron
All previous version increasing the write permissions on the drive never affected plex itself.
Its only been in the last beta and 9.3 final that this suddenly happened.

Need so mcm can write to the folders when its scanning for new media.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.