Please HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceofreak

Dabbler
Thanks again all for the help. Great forum. Soon as I have it up running i try to contribute something as well.

Ceo

Last edited by a moderator:

Stux

MVP
I hope this is not another asrock apocalypse.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
All motherboards tend to fail sometimes. Let's be honest. I owned a computer repair center for many years and regardless of the brand of the motherboard they can just fail and sometimes without a good reason. Some brands tended to be more stable than others, but I've never seen anything in my personal experience that would indicate that asrock have more problems then any other motherboards. In fact it was the manufacturer I preferred to use because the RMA process was so good if something did go wrong.

I had an asrock x58 xtreme that lasted me for 2+ years mining digital currency around the clock and I felt like that was honestly pretty fair given the workload I gave it. I was still pretty disappointed because at the time the replacement was around $200 bucks and I didn't want to spend that kind of cash. I contacted asrock and they allowed me to do a swap for $50 + shipping. Remember this is way after the warranty period. Pretty easy company to work with. I've been using the replacement board for a long while now with no issues.

snaptec

Guru
If you look through the forums they fail far more often than supermicros. And Most Users Herr use supermicro boards.
Just a thought from Reading here..

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
All motherboards tend to fail sometimes.
True, but ASRock C2550/2750 boards have been dying a lot, mostly because of that watchdog bug, apparently.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
If you look through the forums they fail far more often than supermicros. And Most Users Herr use supermicro boards.
Just a thought from Reading here..

Thanks for the response @snaptec

Personally I think supermicro hardware is great. However, you can find posts like this one on reddit with some sysadmins saying supermicro is great and some sysadmins saying it is budget hardware and has close to a 15% failure rate in some batches (Which i find absurd...why even use it if that was the case?). The average failure rate for most big name motherboards was between 2 and 3.5 percent in late 2015 according to a list compiled by hardware.fr late last year and asrock isn't even in last place. The other thing I would say is I question the notion that most people use supermicro boards. That's something we just don't know. I couldn't find any solid information to compare supermicro's failure rates to the big name boards out there.

I hope you don't think I'm picking on you. The thing is people say things on the internet. It doesn't make it true until it's tested and there is a conclusive answer. I guess my point is it's a little free and loose to let people think that asrock is any worse than any other brand. If you're wondering yes I am a fanboy. :D

I do wonder how this is going to change the statistics that come out next year @Ericloewe . I have seen certain boards that can have much higher failure rates than the overall manufacturer average, but typically those are the desktop boards that have all the bells and whistles.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have seen certain boards that can have much higher failure rates than the overall manufacturer average, but typically those are the desktop boards that have all the bells and whistles.

I wonder how much that has to do with what people use the boards for and whether they overclock. Yeah, I know I'm victim blaming. :D

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks for the response @snaptec

Personally I think supermicro hardware is great. However, you can find posts like this one on reddit with some sysadmins saying supermicro is great and some sysadmins saying it is budget hardware and has close to a 15% failure rate in some batches (Which i find absurd...why even use it if that was the case?). The average failure rate for most big name motherboards was between 2 and 3.5 percent in late 2015 according to a list compiled by hardware.fr late last year and asrock isn't even in last place. The other thing I would say is I question the notion that most people use supermicro boards. That's something we just don't know. I couldn't find any solid information to compare supermicro's failure rates to the big name boards out there.

I hope you don't think I'm picking on you. The thing is people say things on the internet. It doesn't make it true until it's tested and there is a conclusive answer. I guess my point is it's a little free and loose to let people think that asrock is any worse than any other brand. If you're wondering yes I am a fanboy. :D

I do wonder how this is going to change the statistics that come out next year @Ericloewe . I have seen certain boards that can have much higher failure rates than the overall manufacturer average, but typically those are the desktop boards that have all the bells and whistles.
I tend to agree, which is why I've only discouraged the use of C2550/C2750 ASRock boards and not all ASRock boards in the hardware guide (can't miss an opportunity to advertise it :D).

I wonder how much that has to do with what people use the boards for and whether they overclock. Yeah, I know I'm victim blaming. :D
It's not victim blaming if it's entirely self-inflicted. If I was writing a BIOS, I'd make sure to reserve a byte somewhere deep in EEPROM that holds a flag saying whether the system has been overclocked. I have the feeling there would be protests followed immediately by the purchase of a second, identical board.

snaptec

Guru
You're welcome :)

To be clear, just Talking about the c2550/2750 boards. Not asrock in general.

danb35

Hall of Famer
So if I get my hardware fixed, my files should be still OK and it doesn't matter in which SATA ports I plug the drives?
Yes, that's correct.

ceofreak

Dabbler
So a update from my side.

I sent back my RAM (Just had this 1 16gb bar), CPU and the Mainboard.

Being 90% sure it was the mainboards fault, i still didnt wanted to end up with sending the other parts seperately if it turns out that its not the MB.

So, they verified it and it was the Mainboard. They sent me a new one now and i just put it in and attached all the hard disks and voila, it boots up and all my data is there.

Now i hope it doesnt get killed again, if so i will change the brand.

Thanks for all the help again and one final question:

So far i run a cronjob that shuts down my NAS every night at 2:00AM because i usually am not awake at this time, for energy saving purposes. Now i remember somebody said dont do it, it reduces the lifespan of the HDDs (WD Reds) dramatically.

Should i just leave it running and switch it off only when i got away for longer time?

Anyway, im happy, and got taught a lesson: Make a god damn backup even if its a NAS :)

Thanks guys!

Ceo

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

So far i run a cronjob that shuts down my NAS every night at 2:00AM because i usually am not awake at this time, for energy saving purposes. Now i remember somebody said dont do it, it reduces the lifespan of the HDDs (WD Reds) dramatically.

Should i just leave it running and switch it off only when i got away for longer time?
Yes. Just leave it running.

Glad to hear that your system is working once again.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
So a update from my side.

I sent back my RAM (Just had this 1 16gb bar), CPU and the Mainboard.

Being 90% sure it was the mainboards fault, i still didnt wanted to end up with sending the other parts seperately if it turns out that its not the MB.

So, they verified it and it was the Mainboard. They sent me a new one now and i just put it in and attached all the hard disks and voila, it boots up and all my data is there.

Now i hope it doesnt get killed again, if so i will change the brand.

Anyway, im happy, and got taught a lesson: Make a ******** backup even if its a NAS :)

Thanks guys!

Ceo
Awesome news!

ceofreak

Dabbler
Hey guys, it's me reporting back with my glorious NAS....

So far, it was running from the moment I put in the exchanged motherboard, with an error in between where the HDD Led would light up permanently, but everything else was working. The NAS was running 24/7 since the exchange.

Today I came home, the NAS is switched off. I thought maybe a power cut, checked my router for logs, nope, up since a few weeks. Tried to press the on switch, nothing. Checked the cables, nothing.

Opened the thing up, small green LED on the motherboard is blinking constantly with 5 seconds in between. Can it be that this motherboard is broken again?!?!

I can't believe it to be honest. Now I'm way less scared about my data than last time, but what should I do now? Send everything back again?

Geez, so far myFreenas experience was a very unlucky one :(

Hope you guys have some advice...

Thanks a bunch!

snaptec

Guru
Did you had a look at the mobo manual what the Blink code fault is?

ceofreak

Dabbler
Did you had a look at the mobo manual what the Blink code fault is?

I checked the manual, but couldnt find anything about this blink code, maybe i overseen it but I went through it twice...

Status
Not open for further replies.