Need help with my Freenas system (error you need to load kernal first)

Dewm

Cadet
So I build this system and did all my research (at the time) on this freenas system back in 2016...and its been running flawlessly ever since. BUT today the wife wasn't able to log on to move some files (she does a ton of photography stuff).

So after a few reboots I pull it down and attach a screen and fire it up, and I get to a 3 option menu "Normal Bootup, single user mode, Verbose Mode), no matter which one I pick, it sends me to the next screen that says "Error you need to load kernal first"

So I THINK it has something to do with freenas that is stored on my USB... but I'm not sure, and I don't really want to screw anything up. Its been a year and half since I've even really looked at it, and I don't remember almost anything from it. So I could really use some help.

At the top of the screen it says "GNU GRUB version 2.02~beta2"

Help!

styno

Patron
Most likely your usb boot drive that has gone bad over time. This is a common issue with usb devices, a small ssd should have less issues.
You can reinstall on another boot device (or better on a mirrored pair of devices) and import your saved config.