Please HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceofreak

Dabbler
Guys I need desperate help.

I just wanted to reboot my FreeNAS and now it doesn't come up anymore. I have a self built FreeNAS ( https://www.ceos3c.com/2016/08/25/build-skylake-nas-freenas/ this build exactly).

When I want to boot the system, the fans run up, slow down again like normal and the front light is lighting up and after a few seconds it reboots again. I don't get any picture on my screen, no ping nothing.

Please help! My whole data is on it lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

skyline65

Explorer
I would open it up and check everything is seated properly. ie. cables, RAM etc before anything else.

snaptec

Guru
Removeeverything Not needed and some ram modules. Check if you get a Boot Screen.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

ceofreak

Dabbler
Steps done:
  • Unplugged everything plugged in again, same.
  • Changed ram slot, same.
  • Changed PSU, same.
Im kind of really stressed right now because all my work (photographer) is on it...

danpoleary

Dabbler
Like snaptec said, try minimal run. unplug all the WD drives, and see if freenas boots at all.

I did have an old system that had this behavior, and it ended up being a damaged video on the motherboard. When it was starting, it would try to initialize video, and reboot.

ceofreak

Dabbler
Like snaptec said, try minimal run. unplug all the WD drives, and see if freenas boots at all.

I did have an old system that had this behavior, and it ended up being a damaged video on the motherboard. When it was starting, it would try to initialize video, and reboot.

Isnt this dangerous to lose data? If the nas recognizes missing drives?

danpoleary

Dabbler
should not be an issue, you could stop the boot process before it gets that far if your worried though!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Isnt this dangerous to lose data? If the nas recognizes missing drives?
No, it won't damage the data on your disks to unplug them. FreeNAS will recognize and reload them later, after you find and fix your problem.

Does the system have a VGA port? I'm guessing that it does... If so, plug a monitor into the port and see if any useful information shows up when you boot the system.

snaptec

Guru
You do have a Backup, right?

First disconnect drives.
Then try to get freenas running.
If everything is disconnect and still dont boot with just 1 ram module and different psus its likely to be Mobo or CPU.
Then try different hardware.
Use your Boot medium and Check if fn is Running.
If yes shutdown, reconnect the drives and Boot, everything should be there

ceofreak

Dabbler
No, it won't damage the data on your disks to unplug them. FreeNAS will recognize and reload them later, after you find and fix your problem.

Does the system have a VGA port? I'm guessing that it does... If so, plug a monitor into the port and see if any useful information shows up when you boot the system.

Has a VGA port but nothing showing. It doesnt come that far i guess before it reboots again.

ceofreak

Dabbler
You do have a Backup, right?

First disconnect drives.
Then try to get freenas running.
If everything is disconnect and still dont boot with just 1 ram module and different psus its likely to be Mobo or CPU.
Then try different hardware.
Use your Boot medium and Check if fn is Running.
If yes shutdown, reconnect the drives and Boot, everything should be there

I have backup, but i was working the whole day on some important stuff and that isnt backed up yet, i try and come back to you.

danpoleary

Dabbler
You have most likely not lost anything. If you can move the drives and ssd on another motherboard, everything should come up fine.

How was the temperatures in that case?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have backup, but i was working the whole day on some important stuff and that isnt backed up yet, i try and come back to you.

Don't panic. It sounds like it motherboard issue. Data should be fine. Since you only have four disks you could probably just unplug them and the boot medium and stick them in another computer that has 8GB+ RAM and boot / back up your data.

If you have to replace your motherboard, try getting one that has IPMI. It can be very helpful in diagnosing issues.

ceofreak

Dabbler
Removed all HDDs except freenas, still same, reboot after a few seconds and no screen. Temperature was low, was low load at all times.

ceofreak

Dabbler
Don't panic. It sounds like it motherboard issue. Data should be fine. Since you only have four disks you could probably just unplug them and the boot medium and stick them in another computer that has 8GB+ RAM and boot / back up your data.

If you have to replace your motherboard, try getting one that has IPMI. It can be very helpful in diagnosing issues.

Does it matter in which SATA ports i plug the hdds when replugging them to another system? Or does freenas automatically recognizes this?

danpoleary

Dabbler
freenas will figure it out

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Based on the symptoms it does sound like a failed motherboard as @anodos suggested. Don't worry though! Your data is more than likely fine.

ceofreak

Dabbler
Tried to plug it into my other pc, not working because UEFI only and the freenas installation is legacy... Fuck.. Now i have to send the mainboard in and have no access to my data, this is terrible :( Thanks all for your quick help, was really lost without it.

I keep you posted.. If anyone has more ideas please go ahead...

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Don't panic. UEFI motherboards have to allow legacy booting. Figuring out how to enable that is not always easy, though.

ceofreak

Dabbler
So if I get my hardware fixed, my files should be still OK and it doesn't matter in which SATA ports I plug the drives? Is this correct? Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.