Planning a build based on SuperMicro X9SLR-F, is my plan sane?

surfrock66

Dabbler
I have a very old very inadequate insane freenas setup that needs to be upgraded over the next year. I want to talk through a hardware plan so I can save money and spread the cost out in an efficient way.

Currently, I'm running a BIOSTAR NM710-1037U motherboard with a celeron dual-core 1.8GHz CPU, 16GB of RAM. The one PCI slot is a SATA expander. It has a Realtek RTL8111F NIC, which was absolute crap and dropped out all the time, so I'm running a USB 2.0 10/100 Ethernet adapter as my only nic. It's insane that it works as well as it does. The whole thing is a home-built aluminum rack-mount chassis I built myself with 6 drives, the OS runs on 2 slim USB flash drives.

I don't do a lot of work on this system; all of my applications run on other systems that keep the NAS storage mounted locally. My goals for the system are mostly just faster network performance and space to add more drives.

I can't afford to do the upgrade all at once. I am trying to plan out a possible purchase plan to gradually upgrade the system over a year. Big picture, I think I want to replace the motherboard/CPU/RAM (using the existing chassis and power supply), then the chassis, then the backplane.

I've taken a lot of guidance from this post: https://www.ixsystems.com/community...anges-to-upgrade-as-high-as-512gb-of-ram.110/

Motherboard: X9SRL-F LGA2011 Motherboard (Ebay) ~180

CPU: Intel E5-2650LV2 10-Core 1.7Ghz CPU (Ebay) ~50

Memory: 4x 16GB PC3-12800R DDR3 1600 ECC Reg (Ebay) ~125

Chassis: Supermicro 3U CSE-836, comes with SAS836TQ backplane (Ebay) ~250 like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperMicro...-2x-PSU-backplane-SAS836TQ-Rails/392593589520

I will then need a controller card for the backplane, but that can come later as I should be able to deal with my 6 drives without the backplane. I know nothing about storage controllers, so I'm not even really sure what to look for...all I know is I don't need the full backplane yet. Any recommendations for future planning are welcome.

Does this seem like a sane plan? Start with the MB/CPU/Ram, place those in existing chassis/psu/drives and run the OS off the same USB drives and importing the pool, then upgrade the chassis, then later add a controller card to light up the backplane with space to add more drives. If I'm missing something, or if there's a better cost-effective option that I may not have seen, I'm completely open to new ideas here.

Hmmm... Did you check and see if you can get a complete used system on eBay that includes the HBA? See this one. It is a little "rough" without the I/O shield, but not a bad price. Specs:
Motherboard: Supermicro X9SRL-F
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz
Memory: 32GB
Chassis: CSE-826
12 Hotswap Bays
HBA: 2 x LSI SAS2008
2 PSUs

surfrock66

Dabbler
I thought about it, but the imperative here is to replace things gradually. I don't know much about buying an HBA, but am I correct in assuming that I can get the backplane and not use it, then later when I want to expand disks get an HBA then?

c32767a

Patron
Does this seem like a sane plan? Start with the MB/CPU/Ram, place those in existing chassis/psu/drives and run the OS off the same USB drives and importing the pool, then upgrade the chassis, then later add a controller card to light up the backplane with space to add more drives. If I'm missing something, or if there's a better cost-effective option that I may not have seen, I'm completely open to new ideas here.

I have built a lot of systems with that motherboard, 64G of RAM, but using the E5-1620v2 and they've all been solid. Only downside of the X9 is you're going to be stuck with Java for the onboard KVM. If it wasn't for that and power profiles on newer CPUs, I'd probably still be using them.

...and the java version is, err..., suboptimal.

surfrock66

Dabbler
I tried to look into X10 series but didn't see anything that jumped out as that advantageous without jumping the cost up a ton, though I'm open to recommendations.

Do you think there's an advantage to going the higher-clock, lower cores method? Because most of my compute is on other boxes I figured 10-core 1.7 would be adequate. I do a LOT of video rendering, but I have dedicated servers for that. All my services like airsonic/dlna/etc run on a big R710 that just needs to see this storage.

c32767a

Patron
Do you think there's an advantage to going the higher-clock, lower cores method? Because most of my compute is on other boxes I figured 10-core 1.7 would be adequate. I do a LOT of video rendering, but I have dedicated servers for that. All my services like airsonic/dlna/etc run on a big R710 that just needs to see this storage.

Depends. for the use cases I work with (primarily NFS and CIFS), higher clocks and fewer cores are better price/performance. We don't run any jails, it's just file service.

Hi @surfrock66 - I agree with what @c32767a noted: It depends on what you are planning to do with your FreeNAS box. Transcoding, using iSCSI, etc. place higher demands on CPU (and memory!). If you take a look at iXsystems FreeNAS servers they "only" use Intel C3338, C2750 and C3758 CPUs (they are branded "Atom", but they ain't your dad's old Atom processors). Tom Lawrence of Lawrence systems has a video on 4K transcoding in his video Can The FreeNAS Mini XL+ Run Plex With 4K Video? that could give some insight. He also has FreeNAS Mini XL+ Features & Review Including 10GbE RJ45 Network Interfaces. that can provide some guidance.

I'll also note that I my FreeNAS box (details in signature) uses an X9DR3-LN4F+ with two Xeon E5-2630 V1 Hex (6) Core 2.3GHz CPUs. My CPU utilisation with 3 Emby jails, a UniFi Controller jail (evil Java-based), NFS for my 10 VMware guests plus normal CIFS sharing barely goes over 5 percent when run "hard". At this point, I'm thinking about moving to an X10/X11-based motherboard with a single, more modern CPU for lower power usage (and to get away from the Java-based BMC IPMI).

surfrock66

Dabbler
I hate to pretend that I know what the future holds, but I can't see doing computing on this box. I have 2 R710's running my actual production stuff, a bunch of weird old poweredge servers that balance video encoding tasks, then a bunch of raspberry pi's that do this and that...this box is basically a SAN over ethernet...

Which is why it's absurd I'm doing this over a USB 10/100 Ethernet adapter and need to upgrade lol.

Do you have a recommended X10 series MB/CPU combo? I agree getting rid of the java console would be nice, but it's not a dealbreaker if it jacks the cost up.

surfrock66

Dabbler
I was worried about losing RAM and PCI slots with those, but if I was going that route, I thought about this:

It would drive the cost of the CPU and RAM up a lot. Maybe:

The combo above is good though...I may bring that to my wife...

CraigD

Patron
I was worried about losing RAM and PCI slots with those, but if I was going that route, I thought about this:

It would drive the cost of the CPU and RAM up a lot. Maybe:

The combo above is good though...I may bring that to my wife...

Those part will not work together

Check the Supermicro X10/X11 guide here. Generally, you are looking for CPUs supporting ECC RAM. That means (for X10):
Pentiums, i3s and Xeon E3s

For X11s the CPU selection is more complicated (e.g., i3s do not support ECC, but Pentiums/Celerons do, etc.)