Ping fails outside network

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisemonkey

Dabbler
Hi I've setup freeNAS mini XL few days back.
As soon as I start / restart freeNAS ping to google / outside network is successful.
I can create and use `pkg upgrade` inside any jail.

However after a while (not sure if this is time based or event based) I can't ping outside network, ping inside network still works.

What can be the issue?
I'm planning to use freeNAS miniXl for following purposes:
1. in house server for photos and videos (don't need internet connectivity)
2. OwnCloud, Murmur, Piwigo in jail (need internet)
3. Kolab server in Virtual box (need internet) -- I would also like to know if this is possible inside jail.

Thanks

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm going to ask you a few question to clarify what is going on and we understand the problem.

1) How are you running the Ping command? Walk me through the steps and treat me like you are explaining it to an idiot, a real idiot who doesn't know what a mouse is used for. To be honest I'm looking to see if you are trying to ping from within a jail and outside a jail and are you in the GUI shell or not.
2) Hum, that was the only question.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I can't ping outside network, ping inside network still works.
This could be a couple of things, but it's hard to tell without knowing exactly which errors you see. It could be firewall or DNS issues. Because you say "pkg upgrade" works, I suspect DNS.

Please show an example of the command and the exact error shown when it fails.

wisemonkey

Dabbler
I'm going to ask you a few question to clarify what is going on and we understand the problem.

1) How are you running the Ping command? Walk me through the steps and treat me like you are explaining it to an idiot, a real idiot who doesn't know what a mouse is used for. To be honest I'm looking to see if you are trying to ping from within a jail and outside a jail and are you in the GUI shell or not.
2) Hum, that was the only question.

1. Login to WebUI for freeNAS (go to IP address for freeNAS in browser)
2. Open GUI Shell (Left hand side menu) and try ping <address>
3. Then Create jail (Jails -> Create jail) with only Autostart checked and assigning IP address by myself.
4. Click on newly created Jail and open GUI shell for Jail (bottom menu for respective jail)
5. Try ping <address> or pkg upgrade

Step 2 and 5 are successful only at the start of freeNAS (and they are successful if I keep working), however if I go away from computer (one I used to invoke WebUI for freeNAS in browser) and return after sometime then step 2 and 5 are unsuccessful, at that point it doesn't matter if I change computers / browsers to login to freeNAS. Once I restart freeNAS step 2 and 5 are working again.

I was actually trying steps 3 to 5 to create multiple jails However saw that newly created jails are failing so tried steps 1 and 2.

I hope this explains, please let me know if more info is required.

BTW ping fails with:
`ping: sendto: No route to host`

joeschmuck

Old Man
Odd problem. For troubleshooting lets stick with using ping outside of a jail.

1) Do you have your DNS setup?
2) Are you using Static IPs in FreeNAS or DHCP? If using DHCP, switch to Static.
3) I find it difficult to believe it's your firewall/router since it works after rebooting FreeNAS.
4) Do you have any plugins / jails running? if so, turn them all off and see if the problem continues. We are trying to see what might be the problem.

wisemonkey

Dabbler
Odd problem. For troubleshooting lets stick with using ping outside of a jail.

1) Do you have your DNS setup?
2) Are you using Static IPs in FreeNAS or DHCP? If using DHCP, switch to Static.
3) I find it difficult to believe it's your firewall/router since it works after rebooting FreeNAS.
4) Do you have any plugins / jails running? if so, turn them all off and see if the problem continues. We are trying to see what might be the problem.

1. I'm sorry I probably don't understand setting up DNS. I've not specifically set anything in freenas settings (all my computers and freenas are connected to router, and I guess router takes care of DNS)
2. I allowed my router to assign IP address to freenas and then I've bound it to the Mac address of freenas inside router settings, so freenas gets IP through dhcp but it will always be same.
3. Yes it doesn't feel like firewall issue
4. I'll try your suggestions and report back. I'm out for 4/5 hrs. I'll try to replicate it as soon as I get back.

Thanks

joeschmuck

Old Man
To address the DNS, open the FreeNAS GUI, click on the Network icon, make sure your IPv4 Gateway and Nameserver is the same IP address as your router. Also you might consider changing FreeNAS to Static IP addresses, it just works better.

EDIT: Actually this ensures both the gateway and DNS (Nameserver) are set to your router.

wisemonkey

Dabbler
To address the DNS, open the FreeNAS GUI, click on the Network icon, make sure your IPv4 Gateway and Nameserver is the same IP address as your router. Also you might consider changing FreeNAS to Static IP addresses, it just works better.

EDIT: Actually this ensures both the gateway and DNS (Nameserver) are set to your router.

Thanks I think Nameserver being blank was the issue, I've updated it to be router address.
I've updated freeNAS to have Static address as well. Things are working well, I'll restart and try again in the morning.

wisemonkey

Dabbler
Ok It's been around 12 hrs and ping is still working so I suppose Nameserver was the problem.
Thanks for all the help, I'll start creating Jails and see if I face connectivity issue again.

Status
Not open for further replies.