PiHole with Unbound

keithg

Explorer
New to Scale. Long time Core user. I was excited to see that pihole is an app and was looking at how to set it up and noticed that unbound was not part of that image. I see this as an oversight, but that is my opinion.
Are there instructions as to how I can create a custom app of pihole with unbound so I can run on the NAS what I was previopusly running on a Pi?
The combo of both in a docker image is mentioned here: https://github.com/chriscrowe/docker-pihole-unbound/tree/main/one-container
I am new to scale and docker, so I really do not know where to begin and am trying to wrap my head around it. I went into the docker image and updatd and installed docker, but the commands do not work i.e. 'systemctl start unbound'...

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

truecharts

Guru
In kubernetes, it would be a bad practice to include 2 resolvers in the same container, it would be a second container within the App if designed so.
Taking your questions into account, it might be best to stick with pre-build apps.

Our blocky app at least offers randomly sending dns requests to multiple dns servers, to prevent tracking and profile building. It isn't unbound, but it offers some of the same benefids to some degree.