Help with using Pihole in Truenas Scale

georkhawam

Dabbler
Hi, i'm a new user of Truenas Scale.. i've been watching some info about the Pi hole application for use as local own DNS Server..

i've installed it, but don't achieve to make it work..

what's the dns ip that i have to set as dhcp in my router to make that all the requests pass thru my pihole?? i've tried using the ip of the web UI of Truenas and it doesn't work, and it have sense,the dns ip can't be the same ip of the server in general...

I know there is something more to do, but can't find the trick... i guess somehow the app Pihole as such must have its own ip and that ip will be the ip where my devices will do the requests.. but how to do it??? someone may bring some help ?

danb35

Hall of Famer
the dns ip can't be the same ip of the server in general
Sure it can--DNS listens on a different port than the other services that run on TrueNAS. And with the TrueCharts version of that app, it does indeed listen on port 53, so that's how you'd set it up. The "official" app, however, doesn't do this, so I'm not sure how you'd configure that.

georkhawam

Dabbler
Sure it can--DNS listens on a different port than the other services that run on TrueNAS. And with the TrueCharts version of that app, it does indeed listen on port 53, so that's how you'd set it up. The "official" app, however, doesn't do this, so I'm not sure how you'd configure that.
i've tried the TrueCharts version like you've suggested and yes, it's working!! like you've said...

Only choose port for web administration, set a password, and the rest don't touch it, leave like it comes and clic Install...

Thanks!!! :smile: