SOLVED Permissions will reverse back to 755

Status
Not open for further replies.

nieman426

Cadet
It looks like permissions are not set correctly, when set from the GUI. After changing permissions, I get rwxr-xr-x (0755). User and groups are changed correctly, but permissions are not.

1. Freshly created volume.
2. Click the ‘Change Permissions’ icon on the volume. For example: Only owner will have read, write and execute access (700).
4. Type of ACL: Windows
5. Click ‘Change’
6. Click the ‘Change Permissions’ icon (again) and permissions are back to default (775). Owner or group are changed correctly.

I must have overlooked something obvious? Anybody see something like this?

Is it okay to managed access right directly from a terminal - like Putty?

FreeNAS version: FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-x64 (r13452). Not sure about any log messages - not sure which log to find anything in. Regards, Lars.

noprobs

Explorer
There is an open ticket on this http://support.freenas.org/ticket/1892 and also #1817 - however to quote from the ticket "the User/Group/Other? checkboxes are only valid for volumes using UNIX permissions. They are nonfunctional for Windows ACL-enabled shares. If the root share permissions need to be changed, change them from a Windows client logged in as the Owner of the share through the share's Properties, on the Security tab."

Given the above it would be ideal if the 'mode' section was greyed out when selecting Windows ACL

nieman426

Cadet
Thank you very much. I will look into setting access right directly from a Windows machine. Apologize for not finding that ticket. Regards, Lars.

nieman426

Cadet
Everything worked out perfectly (after a minor detour with MS credential manager). After enabling ACL on each volume, I ignored the FreeNAS permission settings and handled permissions from a Windows machine. Settings worked as expected. Thank your for the help. Regards, Lars.

noprobs

Explorer
Pleased all is working for you.

FYI I had the same issue as you when I first started using FreeNAS :)

Status
Not open for further replies.