SAMBA shares, forced permissions, different results from different clients?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrodder

Dabbler
Been battling something as of late, maybe someone can help. I started having NFS issues after I moved, and had to create and use an Untangle box as my DHCP and DNS server, but that's only related insofar as this is also when I noticed these permission issues with my CIFS share. The NFS share usually times out a few times before finally mounting, I figured it was a DNS related issue but rest of network is fine, ping by name works, etc. Probably unrelated but figured I'd throw it in.

So as it is now, I have a CIFS share with a workgroup. Only Windows machine in the house is my XBMC, but I will convert that sometime too. I want to use CIFS for all the clients other than myself, mainly because it makes the managing of permissions easier. From what I understand NFS only cares about IP adresses. I have one massive share, for the most part the owner and workgroup are 755. The folders I want to restrict access to are 700, with myself as the owner.

Here's the rub. No matter what I do, if I create a file in the share as either root, or a member in the workgroup, I get owner RW, but read only on group and other permissions. These are from Ubuntu boxen, 12.04. HOWEVER.... if I map to that same share with my android tablet, and make a file, with the same account I am using on the linux box, it creates the file with 777 permissions. This is correct, as that's the override I have set on the CIFS services on Freenas. I have noticed that it will also give different permissions by default if I map to the drive via Nautilus...

Can anyone help me shed some light on this? Happy to provide any more details, logs etc.

**edit**

Well I take it back, the file I created from the android client with ESFile Explorer made a file with 755 permissions, not 777, as I had defined in the share. Something seems like it's not honoring the parameters I have put there?

Status
Not open for further replies.