Permissions problems between Windows and Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyl

Explorer
Hi,

I have a FreeNAS 8.3.0 box which is shared between a single win7 x64 box and several Ubuntu 12.04 x64 boxes. Workgroup only - no domain or AD.

I'm using a CIFS share for access to all machines specifically to avoid permission problems, but I don't seem to have succeeded. The boxes connect as 1 of 2 different users, and the users are both members of the group "Everyone" which I have created. Ideally, I'd like to tie the permissions to this group, with most of the volume available as RW to all machines.

Whilst the windows box has RW access to all the areas I need, the Ubuntu boxes seem to have problems. The issue is that Ubuntu boxes don't seem to be able to modify files. This cannot be tied to individual machines or accounts, but seems to be caused as the file owner is shown as the uid under Ubuntu, but the username under Windows. This causes Ubuntu to fail the permissions check, and be unable to modify the file.

Is this a CIFS issue?
Is it good practice to set whole directory structures as group write enabled?
If I migrate the whole lot to NFS will that alleviate the issue?
Is it possible to operate a mixed CIFS/NFS environment sharing the same files? I've read this is a bad idea - which is why I didn't do it in the first place.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.