Forgetting AD users and permissions after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdybro

Dabbler
Hi.

My FreeNAS system has recently been added to my Windows domain. When I reboot the FreeNAS it seems to forget about the domain join, and forget about the users, and the permissions given.

I can read in a lot of different places that this is a known error, but they are all very old threads.

Furthermore this bug (#3644) is marked resolved/closed.

Is this still a problem?

Would I be better of using the LDAP integration, instead of the Windows AD? What I need is to set permissions on shares to my AD users.

I also have problems mapping my shares from FreeNAS to an Ubuntu computer (see this thread), could that be the same root cause interfering here too?

Regards

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

rdybro

Dabbler
Could you please clarify what you did and the steps involved?

I haven't done anything :) I am asking if I would gain any advantages by using the LDAP authentication instead of the Windows domain, if that is even possible.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I haven't done anything :) I am asking if I would gain any advantages by using the LDAP authentication instead of the Windows domain, if that is even possible.
Oh.. Well what confused me was this:
My FreeNAS system has recently been added to my Windows domain. When I reboot the FreeNAS it seems to forget about the domain join, and forget about the users, and the permissions given.
So; if you already have Active Directory running on your network (Like Server 2008 R2, etc); then you would/may want to use LDAP or NT4. If you do not have AD and want FreeNas to BE the AD; then you would want to use "Active Directory".

So; I guess the question about "Could you please clarify what you did and the steps involved?" is more towards the part where you mentioned that FreeNas was added to your Windows Domain and losing users/permissions...

rdybro

Dabbler
Oh.. Well what confused me was this:

So; if you already have Active Directory running on your network (Like Server 2008 R2, etc); then you would/may want to use LDAP or NT4. If you do not have AD and want FreeNas to BE the AD; then you would want to use "Active Directory".

So; I guess the question about "Could you please clarify what you did and the steps involved?" is more towards the part where you mentioned that FreeNas was added to your Windows Domain and losing users/permissions...

Oh sure, sorry I misunderstood you. I have setup a connection to my current Active Directory under "Directory Service" --> "Active Directory". As far as I understand this would join my FreeNAS to my current Windows Active Directory. I can see too that the FreeNAS was added as a computer account in my AD when I did the setup, and I can see the users from my Windows Active Directory when setting dataset permissions.

I am running FreeNAS 9.3 and Windows Server 2012R2.

Am I wrong? :)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Oh sure, sorry I misunderstood you. I have setup a connection to my current Active Directory under "Directory Service" --> "Active Directory". As far as I understand this would join my FreeNAS to my current Windows Active Directory. I can see too that the FreeNAS was added as a computer account in my AD when I did the setup, and I can see the users from my Windows Active Directory when setting dataset permissions.

I am running FreeNAS 9.3 and Windows Server 2012R2.

Am I wrong? :)

Your server is an AD member server. AD users and groups should persist across reboots (if things are configured correctly), but in general it's a better idea to only reboot for system updates that are deemed important.

rdybro

Dabbler
Your server is an AD member server. AD users and groups should persist across reboots (if things are configured correctly), but in general it's a better idea to only reboot for system updates that are deemed important.

That was how I first understood it too. I am not wanting to reboot my FreeNAS all the time, but even if it is only a couple of times per year due to updates, it would still be a pain to re-set all the permissions every time.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
That was how I first understood it too. I am not wanting to reboot my FreeNAS all the time, but even if it is only a couple of times per year due to updates, it would still be a pain to re-set all the permissions every time.
Permissions should never need to be reset. If you're using the "RID" idmap backend, then UID / GID mapping are deterministic. Winbind barfs on you? Fix your FreeNAS config and restart directory services. Everything should be happy again.

Status
Not open for further replies.