Permissions Don't Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicCrockett

Dabbler
I can't get any form of permissions to work in FreeNAS. I've tried countless configurations and the only consistent way to access shares is by signing on as the root account. At first I tried to connect FreeNAS to Active Directory. It connects and looks to be ok, but users and groups don't show up in the drop downs to assign permissions. Ran wbinfo -u -g -t from the cli and it sees everything. So I did research online and tried every trick I could find including setting the permissions from the cli. Every time I try to set the permissions from the cli I get an illegal group name message. Finally I scrapped Active Directory and decided to try creating users and groups from within FreeNAS. I followed a number of tutorials I found to get this to work and had the best luck with this one.

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Windows_(CIFS)_Shares

After following these instructions I was able to get one user to log in, but none of the others. The one user that could was the first user I created. At this point I'm at a loss as to what to do and I need this system running by the weekend. My end goal is I need a system that my servers can backup to. These servers need to stay connected to the NAS server so the backup software can automatically backup to it without having to log in. Can any of you geniuses help me?

My System Specs:
FreeNAS 9.1.0 Stable Release
HP DL380 Gen 4
2 Intel Xeon 3.4 GHz Duel Core processors
8 GB RAM (4 x 2 GB)
Currently there are 4 x 73 GB hard drives in a RaidZ ZFS volume.
When I go live it will have 4 x 2 TB hard drives in a RaidZ ZFS volume.

The machines that I'm using to test the connection are a Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server. When I go live I'll be connecting from Windows XP, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2003 Server, and Windows 2008 Server. My domain controller running Active Directory is a Windows 2000 Server.

D

dlavigne

Are you using ZFS datasets? Also, in your testing, are you logging in and out of Windows to make sure it is not caching user credentials?

Providing a list of what perms you are trying to accomplish would be useful.

NicCrockett

Dabbler
I've tried with and without datasets and I've restarted my machines regularly to keep the credentials from caching. As for a list of perms at this point I just want to be able to access it from a Windows machine using my users credentials and not the root account. I don't really care what gets me there other than it can't be anonymous access for security reasons.

D

dlavigne

It should work fine if each user matches the username/password on the windows system and their home directory is either the shared volume or a dataset created for each user. If that still doesn't work, give a sample listing of the users you have created, their user settings and how you've setup volume/dataset perms.

NicCrockett

Dabbler
The only thing that has remotely worked has been when I created two users (nick and administrator) and one group (BackupAdmins). I made both users members of the BackupAdmins group. I assigned the volume to both users as their home directory. On the volume I set the owner as nobody, the group as BackupAdmins, checked all boxes for owner and group, and set the ACL to Unix. I created a single CIFS share on the volume and set it to browsable across the network. After that I was able to connect from my WinXP machine as nick just fine. However, I couldn't automatically attach to the share from my Win2003 Server as Administrator nor would it accept the credentials if I typed them in. This method didn't use Active Directory and was a fresh minimal install of FreeNAS. The username and passwords matched for each user.

Status
Not open for further replies.