Permission & Sharing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

Cadet
First off, this is my first NAS...and my first time using FreeNAS. Be gentle.
I am running version 8.3.0
I have my volume setup as 1 3TB pool of data for movies, music.
So I have been reading for awhile now, watching the Youtube vids and such. Now I have my NAS up and running. I have created my Volume, setup up my CIFS & AFP shares. The issue I am having is I can't seem to get access to the data in windows. I can browse to the NAS, see the "Media" volume and open it, but its saying I need permission to do it. I cannot put any files on it. I can't seem to understand what I'm screwing up here.

What I want to do is put all my media files on the NAS. Then have any other computer access them. What I don't want is for the other computers to be able to delete files, just read them. I want to be the only person with write/delete access to NAS. I will be doing all the files from my personal Win7 Desktop. I will have 2 other Win7 pcs and a Macbook reading the files.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Tad

praecorloth

Contributor
You may be able to get away with setting the permissions without hitting the command line. But you're borderline, so beware. If your permissions get much trickier, you'll need to get familiar with the command line, or go to ACLs (which I know next to nothing about).

So let's look at your user first. Let's say you log in to Windows under the user Blarney. Create Blarney with the same password on the FreeNAS box. Then go to Storage and open up the Security info on your 3TB pool. It should have an Owner User and Owner Group. Put Blarney as the Owner User. Give yourself Read/Write access and hit OK.

Now create a new Group for the rest of the users to be a part of. Then create new users, similarly keep the usernames/passwords the same between the machines they log in with and FreeNAS (not required, but makes life a little easier). Make those users part of your new group. Go back in to Storage and the Security info on the 3TB pool. Make that group Owner Group and give it Read access.

Unfortunately this set up does make you the only content creator on the NAS. But it sounds like that may be what you're looking for.

ProtoSD

MVP
Raven,

I know you're new, and I *LOVE* your avatar, but first, you should have posted this in the sharing section (I'll move it), and second, this question is asked TOO often and there was just another thread in the last day discussing the same thing. Have a look at recent posts in the in sharing section.

Raven

Cadet
Ok, so this is still not working here. Still not allowing access to the box. None of the computers in the house use a login/password. Is this where I'm having the issues?:confused:

EDIT: So after read a bit on here, I'm gonna guess FreeNAS can't really do what I want. It seems to setup the sharing the way I need it is dependent on each computer have a unique login/password. This I can't do, as the other computers are not setupable this way. I don't want to have to setup passwords.

I guess I'm not explaining what I want to do right... At the current moment, I have 1.75TB of movies, TV Seasons, ect stored on 2 1TB drives on my personal desktop. I have the drives shared, so other computers can see them, and watch the videos. Now they don't have access to delete or modify the files in anyway. Just watch. I am the only person that has access to do this. I want to do the exact same thing with the NAS box. I don't see why this is not possible on it. Can't FreeNAS have a setup where it only allows my pc to change files? Why can't it be setup where if someone wants to save a file, edit a file...it prompts for a user/password like with windows?

praecorloth

Contributor
You could get away with allowing guest access, and then giving them read permissions. But at the very least, I believe you need a login to differentiate yourself from a guest.

Well, as a second approach, you could have guest only access via CIFS, and make that read only. Then create an NFS share that points to the same spot that CIFS does, make NFS only accept connections from your computer's IP address, and give that read/write access. I don't believe there are any problems creating a CIFS and NFS share in the same spot.

Raven

Cadet
Well, as a second approach, you could have guest only access via CIFS, and make that read only. Then create an NFS share that points to the same spot that CIFS does, make NFS only accept connections from your computer's IP address, and give that read/write access. I don't believe there are any problems creating a CIFS and NFS share in the same spot.

Ok I think I got it. What you suggested did exactly what I wanted.
I created a new user. Home directory to the volume. Then I checked all the boxes in the O/G/O area. And disabled password login.+

Then I created a NFS share, put my IP in the Authorized IP area. In the Maproot user box, selected my newly added user. Set the path to the volume.

Then setup a windows share, path to volume. Checked Export Read only, checked guest access.

Thats it! Its working exactly how I want it. Now to save the settings, and setup up an AFP...then I'll be all set.
Thanks alot.
Tad

Raven

Cadet
Ok, yep...FreeNAS hates me I guess. Got it set and it was working. 1hr later...Its now saying I don't have permission. Nothing has changed. I really am at a loss for whats going on. I even tried restoring to the working backup, did nothing. I have no idea what to try now, as the settings seem to be changing on their own.

I am also getting stupid slow write speeds on a Gib network...prepare yourself...500/Kb MAX!!

praecorloth

Contributor
Alright, the speed thing could be a whole host of issues. That's the lowest I've ever seen though. Normally when people complain about slow speed, they're talking like 30-40MB/s over gigabit. Let's leave that for the moment and burn the bridge in front of us.

Let's talk about your permissions issue. Now you say it's telling you you don't have permission. Is that when trying to browse the share via CIFS, or NFS?

Raven

Cadet
Well I have both setup now. NFS is setup to allow me to be the only writer via a user and my IP. CIFS is just setup so that FreeNAS can be accessed by windows. Its also setup for guest access. It was working fine, then randomly 1-2hrs later...back to not working.

I browse all the files from Windows machines. I set it up like what you suggested in the earlier post.

Raven

Cadet
Ok, so after doing some reading, found out that Win7 Home Prem. doesn't have a nfs client. So that is the permission issue. So for now, I will just deal with having it be not password protected.

Now to figure out my EXTREMELY slow transfer issue. With my CIFS share, I'm transferring at 568KB/second on a 2GB mpeg file. This will take a month to transfer the files.
My Specs:
FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r12825)
ASUS C60M1-I AMD Fusion APU C-60 (1.0GHz, dual core) AMD Hudson M1 Mini ITX
8GB Flash USB Drive for FreeNAS
2x 3TB WD Red HDD
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)

Network:
Netgear WRN3500L router gigabit
Every computer on my network is Gigabit wired except for the laptops.
The cables are all CAT5e. All tested and working.

I read around and I think I checked what freenas is setting my link at.
Ran "ifconfig -a" and its saying (1000baseT <full-duplex>). Seems right, wonder why I'm transferring so slow? Should I be making a new thread for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.