AFP Permission Issues - 777 Permission By Default

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

Firstly apologies on my lack of knowledge on UNIX based systems, I'm not a noob by any means but still a little confused about how to tackle this issue, I have a feeling it might be something quite obvious that I'm missing.

Just set up my first FreeNAS server the other day and I'm working on fine tuning the permissions. I have one volume in which I want everyone to be able to access including all the subfolders and files. There's 2 main users, each under their own group (with the same name), me and my colleague both need to be able to delete and make new folders/files in directories the other person might have created, I understand this would mean setting everything to 777?

Problem is I can only read the contents of my colleagues folders but not delete them, rename, or paste files inside for example. I've selected all 9 permissions checkboxes under the user permissions for the both of us, also for the default file and folder permissions under the AFP share properties.

Thanks in advance!

I think I may have solved this by checking 'Set Permissions Recursively' under the volume permissions. I can now delete files etc under directories my colleague created, is this the right way to have gone about this or are there disadvantages to this method?

nojohnny101

Wizard
No disadvantage. Just be careful with that option if you create custom permissions through the CLI or other methods, obviously "recursively" would wipe that out.

Glad you figured it out.

No disadvantage. Just be careful with that option if you create custom permissions through the CLI or other methods, obviously "recursively" would wipe that out.

Glad you figured it out.

Thanks for the reply, turns out I didn't actually fix the issue. FIles & directories created after I checked this box still are not being able to be read by the other user (there's only 2 of us). Not sure how this is the case as on the AFP share the default file and directory permissions are set to 777 (all 9 checkboxes selected).

Status
Not open for further replies.