permission issue after qbittorrent setup attempt [SOLVED]

rellikzephyr

Cadet
New SCALE user, and search has made me try some things but ultimately failed me

backstory, i attempted and failed to setup qbittorrent... to eventially link with sonarr etc... (have learned some since and will try again soon)

but i now have 1 folder (think was the only one in there when attempted qbittorrent setup) that i now cannot delete (SMB from windows)... i get the error

"you require permission from Unix User\apps to make changes to this folder"

the share and user are still in use, so would prefer not to delete and try again... i have added the group apps to aux group for the user... but seems i did not set the write permission for groups when initially setting up the user, and it wont apply that change when i try (tick the write persmission for groups and Save, look again and not ticked)

i am unsure what to do without deleteing users etc and essentially starting again, so some help would be just swell

deleting the folder isnt essential but triggers my ocd lol

Thanks

EDIT:

issue solved (or bypassed) by using Midnight Commander visual file explorer that is built into truenas... running the command "mc" in the shell and deleting the offending folder

WARNING... from my understanding, this file explorer has NO permission limits, so be careful what you do with it as i believe it will happily delete anything including critical or system files without restraint

Last edited:

LarsR

Guru
just edit the share's permissions and add the user you want, so that it has the correct permissions.
you dont have to delete any user and a share is not limited to one user. you can add as many users as you want to a Dataset.

rellikzephyr

Cadet
just edit the share's permissions and add the user you want, so that it has the correct permissions.
you dont have to delete any user and a share is not limited to one user. you can add as many users as you want to a Dataset.
didnt work for me... created a new user, named unix1, added the apps group as a aux group, gave it write access for group as well... added that user to dataset permissions

had to disconnect my currently mapped network drive as windows wouldnt let me log in the same share with different user, but simply disconnected and mapped a new drive using the new user credentials and.... same error

thought to try to set the home directory for unix1 as the folder containing the undeletable folder... same error

LarsR

Guru
Are you trying to share out the root dataset or a child dataset?
Root dataset permissions cant be changed
Are you using unix or nfsv4 acl's

rellikzephyr

Cadet
Are you trying to share out the root dataset or a child dataset?
Root dataset permissions cant be changed
Are you using unix or nfsv4 acl's
pretty sure it is a child dataset... have the system dataset pool (kodiz2) that is essentially the whole storage pool setup, then added a media dataset to that for the share... but the share has a directory of /mnt/kodiz2/kodidrive which i setup long time ago (freenas 11.3 i think) of which i cannot see a "kodidrive" dataset in scale

looks like nfsv4 acl's... i guess because was created way back in freenas 11.3

new pools i have created recently... AppsPool and CloudPool.... are both unix acl

rellikzephyr

Cadet
for any future searches, i have sorted this issue

i have discovered that Midnight Commander visual file explorer is built into truenas... by running the command "mc" in the shell... this file explorer has FULL permisions to everything... the offending OCD triggering folder has been deleted

so the problem is SOLVED, but not by fixing any permisions

Thanks for the help LarsR