Permanent disk name for faster identification in HDD Expander?

sashawad2

Dabbler
Hi All. I think many people have wondered how to identify a damaged disk for replacement. I read a lot of similar topics and never saw a concrete solution anywhere.

In my case - i use SAS HBA (LSI 9xxx) with external connector to witch connect 2x EMC VNX Expander 25x 2.5" 600Gb + Huawei OceanStore 24x 3.5" 2Tb

As a result, my storage consists of 74 disks, not counting the system and cache disks.

TrueNAS SCALE operate in WEB UI disk name like sda, sdb...sdx. You make scedule SMART base on this name disk, you create pool zfs based on this name disk, i know zfs use gpid. If i export broken disk from my pool and reboot all name disk are redistributed and most of the disks change their name, which is extremely inconvenient and causes a lot of problems with settings and identification in the expander.

I have been studying this question for a long time - how to simplify the identification of disks in the expander and in the TrueNAS UI web interface, but I have not found a good solution. Please share your experience with this issue.

Chris3773

Dabbler
The solution I came up with for this this problem is to add the disk location in the description field of the Disk. The description is kept when the drive names are reassigned.

This only helps with locating the physical disk and not for custom scripts that access the disk by name.