Passthrough USB devices to VM's

warllo

Contributor
I wasn't able to find a location in the GUI to pass through a USB device to a virtual machine in Scale. I'm wondering if it's possible? If not would you consider adding this feature? It could be very useful for hardware license keys, Zwave/Zigbee sticks, and many other use cases. I have seen this function available in EXSI and Proxmox.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
The pass-thru is at the PCIe device level. The USB controller is the PCIs device... it can have one ore more USB devices.

warllo

Contributor
Correct, I was hoping to be able to use one USB card for multiple VM's simultaneously but this isn't a deal-breaker. Thanks for your response.

PascalSav

Cadet
Hi, however, I would say "nice to have" knowing that, correct me if I'm wrong, it's an existing KVM feature.
My use case is domoticz with a USB Z-Wave stick and a MySensors usb gateway.

warllo

Contributor
It is a current KVM feature. iXsystems would just need to include the feature in their UI which hopefully they will consider.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
If KVM can do it, please make a feature request.... via "report a bug".

strikermed

Dabbler
Hi, however, I would say "nice to have" knowing that, correct me if I'm wrong, it's an existing KVM feature.
My use case is domoticz with a USB Z-Wave stick and a MySensors usb gateway.
I have a similar issue. I'm trying to pass my USB Z-Wave Stick through, and I've tried all 4 of my USB PCI devices, and none have resulted in my Windows VM picking up the Z-wave stick. I've gone as far as faulting my system due to passing through the wrong USB controller (due to system drive being a bootable USB.)