Passive Cooling; Am I asking for trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwslippey

Contributor
Finally got all my parts together and my latest build up, which is a huge step forward compared to my last build.

I bought a used X9SCL-F and Xeon E3-1230 V2.
The board came with a passive cooler, no fan.

For now I have an extra CPU fan zip tied to the passive cooler, just to be safe but it is load as all get out!

The case isn't a small case and isn't packed very dense. The case supports 8 drive (plus 3 3.5 bays) I currently have 6 drives in it.
I've got 2 fans pushing in the front and (accross the drives) and 1 exhausting out the read. There are 2 top side fan mounts and a fan mount on the door. (both are open at this time)

I'm still undecided on Plex but this thing does serve up media currently, but only as a file server to a Pi for Kodi, no transcoding is done by the Nas.

So my question is; Do I really need that fan on the CPU? Do you think I'm being paranoid? Will FreeNas shut itself down if it thinks it's getting too hot and can I control these temperature settings?

Thanks

Rob

m0nkey_

MVP
The Xeon E3-1230 needs to be actively cooled, so you need some airflow going over it. If it didn't come with a fan, it's likely it was in a 1U chassis with a couple of 40mm fans blowing at it.

tvsjr

Guru
Any modern processor will throttle itself if it gets warm. If it still can't stay cool enough, it will eventually crash hard.

As m0nkey_ pointed out, the Xeons really expect airflow... either via the wind tunnel configuration of a rack mount server or a fan-based cooler. If that passive cooler is fairly small (think the size of the chip), it was intended for a rack-mount server. If it's ginormous, then it might work. That chip has a 69W TDP... that's a LOT of heat to deal with passively.

Try this from the command line:
Code:
sysctl -a |egrep -E "cpu\.[0-9]+\.temp"

That should give you temps of every CPU core.

IMO, replace the cooler with something with a fan. That board should have PWM headers for the CPU cooler fan - make sure you buy a compatible unit so the system can slow the fan down when the box is idling.

rwslippey

Contributor
Thanks for the replies,

That was kind of what I was figuring. Thanks for all your thoughts. like you both said, I'm pretty sure it came out of a rack (guy sold a bunch of them.)

Thanks again...

Off to find a cooler!

Status
Not open for further replies.