Did I overdo the cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad1976

Dabbler
Current setup as follows:

OS: FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201606270534 (dd17351) - most current as of time of posting
MOBO: SuperMicro X10SRI-F-O
OS Drive: Supermicro ServerDOM SSD-DM016-PHI (2 x in mirrored config)
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz
PCIe: AIT Radeon HD5450 video card (using HDMI output to remote monitor)
RAM: 16Gb DDR4 2133 Registered ECC (2 x 8Gb)
Storage Drives: 4 x 4Tb RaidZ1 (14.5 Tb usable)
Jails: 2x 256Gb Samsung EVO 850 PRO SSD (Mirrored)
Working Data Drive: 1 x 1Tb WD Red (dedicated to Transmission Plugin)
PSU: Corsair HX750i
Cooler: Corsair H90 (140mm Radiator) with Push/Pull fans (35dB per fan)
Chassis: Thermaltake Core V71
Chassis Fans: Cooler Master 200mm Red LED (19dB)
Fan Controller: Thermaltake Core FT
LCF (Look Cool Factor): Deep Cool RGB Color LED Kit
Special Bonus: Enough Pixi Dust for a lifetime of FREENAS Awesomeness

Future Plan 1) Replace existing Seagate Desktop drives with WD Red 6Tb
Future Plan 1) RAM upgrades (stay ahead of 1 Gb per 1Tb)
Future Plan 2) Increase Storage Drives to 7 x 6Tb WD Red RaidZ1

As most of you will probably be able to see from the below hardware, all of my previous experience comes from the desktop world, this is my first server build... I'm looking at reducing the white noise and currently the loudest component is the duel fans I have on the radiator... I'm trying to figure out if I should just get some quiet Noctua fans, or if I might be able to get away with a single fan active CPU cooler, or even again, perhaps a passive heat sync. (If I go active it will be the SNK-P0048AP4 or the SNK-P0050AP4 as those are the only two that support the narrow ILM. If I go passive, I have no idea... lol)

But, being as this is my first server build.... Any advice or other suggestions from some experts would be greatly appreciated! :)

Attachments

• 20160802_072645[1].jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 378

tvsjr

Guru
What are your CPU and drive temperatures under load? That will tell you if you have more cooling than required (although there's really no such thing). You need to run through the system to determine which fans are causing the excess white noise, then start replacing there.

Brad1976

Dabbler
What are your CPU and drive temperatures under load? That will tell you if you have more cooling than required (although there's really no such thing). You need to run through the system to determine which fans are causing the excess white noise, then start replacing there.

I had 4 clients ps'c using the program Teracopy, copying a random selection of small files from my archive, as well as a selection of movies and TV shows, all copying from the server, copying TO the server and also streaming a 720p media via Plex, all simultaneously... The max I've seen the CPU load was 40'ish percent based on the OS GUI's "Reporting" page. As for temps, I have yet to see anything over 32 degrees Celsius for the CPU and I've only had one spike from a faulty drive at 41 degrees Celsius, but the average drive temp is between 28 - 31 degrees.

(My goal with this server is hopefully have something that will last me 10+ years and knowing heat is the greatest enemy, that's why I did what I did so far. But now the white noise from the fans is becoming a nuisance...)

The white noise dropped significantly when I replaced the Thermaltake fans which came with the chassis to the Cooler Master fans, but I don't know if I would be safe getting a CPU passive heat sync, an active heart sync (both from Supermicro), or just get quieter fans for the current water cooler...) *shrug* :(

tvsjr

Guru
Your system won't last 10 years. It'll be extremely outdated and extremely small. Figure 5 years.

Your temps are excellent, so you have some working room. Smaller, higher RPM fans tend to be the biggest culprits. Go through the system, while running, and unplug one fan at a time. Determine which one is noisiest and start there.

Passive CPU cooling only works if you have good front-to-back flow-through cooling. Most servers work this way, but they have a relatively small airspace, high volume fans front and rear, and plastic ducting to channel the air across the coolers. Assuming the fan on the CPU cooler is your problem, I'd be tempted to look at a quieter, perhaps non-water-cooled solution. Noctua is a good place to start.

Brad1976

Dabbler
Your system won't last 10 years. It'll be extremely outdated and extremely small. Figure 5 years.

Your temps are excellent, so you have some working room. Smaller, higher RPM fans tend to be the biggest culprits. Go through the system, while running, and unplug one fan at a time. Determine which one is noisiest and start there.

Passive CPU cooling only works if you have good front-to-back flow-through cooling. Most servers work this way, but they have a relatively small airspace, high volume fans front and rear, and plastic ducting to channel the air across the coolers. Assuming the fan on the CPU cooler is your problem, I'd be tempted to look at a quieter, perhaps non-water-cooled solution. Noctua is a good place to start.

If I stay with the water cooler, I was already considering the Noctua NF-P14s Redux-1500 PWM for the push and a Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 for the pull. In fact, I would have done it already if my son didn't dislocate his knee and required surgery on it... And without a doubt, he's much more important. :)

Besides looking up the specs for my fans, that's exactly what I did with regards to your suggestion about disconnecting the fans one at a time.

Thanks for the input tvsjr! It's good to know I was heading in the right general direction!!! :)

tvsjr

Guru
Ouch - hope your son gets well soon! Knee injuries aren't anything to mess around with.

Brad1976

Dabbler
Ouch - hope your son gets well soon! Knee injuries aren't anything to mess around with.

Thanks, and tell me about it... He turned 14 last Christmas Eve, and this was his 12th time under general anaesthetic but his 11th surgery. He has both a genetic disorder called 22.11q Deletion Syndrome and a blood disorder called Spherocytosis... He's watched through the Sick Kid's Hospital in Toronto, Ontario (Canada). It's been a long road, but he's the reason I'm still alive today. But alas, don't want to hijack my own thread and the forums doesn't have a place for family issues... lol Thanks again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.