panic: zfs_panic_recover

zamana

Contributor
Hi!

Since yesterday my backup server is failing to boot due to this:

IMG_4048.jpeg

Anyone knows what's going on?

I already reinstalled the FreeNAS-11.2-U7 (upgrade mode) on the same boot device, but the problem remains the same.

Thanks.
Regards.

Id start with the basics, test RAM, USB drives and such. Kernel panic right after ZFS import stinks like bad USB drive??

zamana

Contributor
It can be...

I'll [re]install the system on another device.

Anyway, searching for this kind of problem, I found this thread:

It happened on an iXsystem certified device also recently...

Interesting. Ive definitely had this happen to me before kernel panic to db> prompt, seems Ive always fixed it by replacing the boot drives. I had small 16GB SSDs that eventually did this. Im sure USBs are the same (if applicable).

pschatz100

Guru
With later versions of FreeNAS, booting from USB flash drives has become increasingly unreliable. It is one of the reasons that many experienced forum members, including myself, have migrated to small SSD's for the boot device. Small SSD's have become pretty cheap.

zamana

Contributor
Yes. Indeed, my main system is booting from an SSD.

Anyway... I reinstalled Freenas onto another USB drive an it booted just fine. But then I loaded the saved configuration and BOOM... In the next boot it showed the very same error.

I concluded that something in my pools was corrupted. I reinstalled once more and started from scratch.

Now I'm doing my backups again.