OwnCloud Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruselgurke

Dabbler
I would like to setup owncloud on my FreeNAS (http://owncloud.org/).
I succesfully installed it into my plugin jail using the package (http://www.freshports.org/www/owncloud/)
Now my problem is that I'm pretty much a bloody noob when it comes to FreeBSD and Web Servers and I have no idea how to proceed from here.
I would be very grateful if someone could give me hand here.
I looked at the install guide but well it was not much of a help, I guess its meant for Linux and not for FreeBSD.

As far as I understood, the configuration can be done via the web interface and it should be quite easy from there on but currently I can't access it as I didn't do step 2.2-2.4 from the setup guide: http://owncloud.org/support/install/
And I have no clue how to do this via the FreeNAS shell, doing it as described there gives me nothing but errors.

toddos

Contributor
The jail doesn't include a web server by default, and there's currently no PBI for installing a web server. That means you need to install nginx + php yourself. Once you've done that, OwnCloud setup should be a snap (copy files into a place the web server can see them, run OwnCloud's installation).

As for getting nginx into your jail, there are two ways to do this. Read this thread, starting with Joshua's post and then mine. Joshua went the route of installing via packages, and had to compile his own PHP+FPM support separately. I decided to skip packages (since the 8.x packages are all old and outdated) and went straight to Ports, but that requires much more extensive changes to the jail (Perl needs to be updated). Note that the thread is about getting AjaXplorer working, but the base steps are the same for OwnCloud.

Gruselgurke

Dabbler
Oh I thought PHP would be installed with the package like shown at freshports.
Thanks for the hint, I will try this when I'm back at the office on monday!

riste

Explorer
owncloud on freenas would be super. Please post your progress

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I doubt a webserver package will be posted for a while (the plugin system isn't designed exactly for it right now). Hopefully when I have time I can write up a step by step guide to setup any php application on a freenas jail. Possibly next weekend, but I can't make any promises.

madmax

Explorer
Can you setup without using it as a plugin? I already install owncloud so I need a webserver setup of some kind. Unsure what port or package to use and also how to config to work?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Can you setup without using it as a plugin? I already install owncloud so I need a webserver setup of some kind. Unsure what port or package to use and also how to config to work?

I really don't know why you would use the owncloud port / package. All owncloud is, is a php web application. Just download the latest, and point your webserver (with php) to it. Using packages / ports is just gonna cause problems with dependencies when you can run really any number of web applications with the same one webserver.

The link toddos gave shows how I got nginx+php-fpm setup and it is just like setuping up a webserver on any other unix system (except for having to compile php with fpm support).
Here's a link to the 64bit package I compiled, read my post in the thread toddos linked about forcing it's installation after you install all the needed php dependencies.
http://admin.joshuaruehlig.com//data/public/58c30a90510c852206c1b882ae19a8c7.php?lang=en
password = phpfpm

BTW here's some output from my jail that might help
Code:
pkg_info | grep php
php5-5.3.10_1       PHP Scripting Language
php5-ctype-5.3.10_1 The ctype shared extension for php
php5-curl-5.3.10_1  The curl shared extension for php
php5-dom-5.3.10_1   The dom shared extension for php
php5-extensions-1.6 A "meta-port" to install PHP extensions
php5-filter-5.3.10_1 The filter shared extension for php
php5-gd-5.3.10_1    The gd shared extension for php
php5-hash-5.3.10_1  The hash shared extension for php
php5-iconv-5.3.10_1 The iconv shared extension for php
php5-json-5.3.10_1  The json shared extension for php
php5-mbstring-5.3.10_1 The mbstring shared extension for php
php5-pdo-5.3.10_1   The pdo shared extension for php
php5-pdo_sqlite-5.3.10_1 The pdo_sqlite shared extension for php
php5-phar-5.3.10_1  The phar shared extension for php
php5-posix-5.3.10_1 The posix shared extension for php
php5-session-5.3.10_1 The session shared extension for php
php5-simplexml-5.3.10_1 The simplexml shared extension for php
php5-sqlite-5.3.10_1 The sqlite shared extension for php
php5-sqlite3-5.3.10_1 The sqlite3 shared extension for php
php5-tokenizer-5.3.10_1 The tokenizer shared extension for php
php5-xml-5.3.10_1   The xml shared extension for php
php5-xmlreader-5.3.10_1 The xmlreader shared extension for php
php5-xmlwriter-5.3.10_1 The xmlwriter shared extension for php
php5-zip-5.3.10_1   The zip shared extension for php

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks for this info Joshua. I for once didn't know that owncloud works that way, opens up whole other possibilites for me :D
But still I somehow doubt that I will be able to setup the webserver myself on FreeNAS, for example how would I do the first step mentioned by toddos in this post: http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...Web-File-Browser&p=38192&viewfull=1#post38192
don't do any of that. you don't need to compile anything or mess with dependencies.

pkg_add -r (needed dependencies)
pkg_delete -f php5
pkg_add -f php5 (with fpm)

then setup php.ini, nginx and start the services.

SteelWolf

Dabbler
I would love to set up OwnCloud as well but I'm a little confused as to which of the processes referenced here is the "right" one. Because we can currently have only one jail and I have so many things working nicely in it, I'd like to mess with it as little as possible.

From JPR's posts, I'm gathering the best way to go about this is to set up a generic webserver and, once that is working, install OwnCloud. Is this at all correct?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I would love to set up OwnCloud as well but I'm a little confused as to which of the processes referenced here is the "right" one. Because we can currently have only one jail and I have so many things working nicely in it, I'd like to mess with it as little as possible.

From JPR's posts, I'm gathering the best way to go about this is to set up a generic webserver and, once that is working, install OwnCloud. Is this at all correct?

http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...NGINX-PHP-FPM-(-MySQL)-Jail-Install-and-Setup

Wyl

Explorer
does the plugin come with the web stuff so i can access it outside my network?

ShinobiX9X

Contributor
yes, it does.
for me it works via a webbrowser, i just need to find why my owncloud client refuses to connect to it
it says: "Cannot connect to server, socket timed out" something like that.
Can anyone help?
the webbrowser works without a problem

tomf80

Cadet
I updated from the 9.1 beta to release today, and after the update was done saw that new ownCloud plugin. When I went to install it, the web interface says there was an error and becomes unresponsive. Reloading the page shows that the webserver died. When I try to SSH in my password is no longer accepted.

Not having any way in, I rebooted the box, and everything was back to normal.

I then deleted the plugin, and tried to reinstall it, and the same thing happened. However, now even after a reboot the web interface doesn't come up and I my credentials are not accepted in an SSH session.

I don't know if this plugin was the cause, or something with the jail/plugin installer caused the problem, but I am now locked out of my box. Be careful.

And, if anyone can help me get back in, I would appreciate it.

=====

Resolved: Not sure if ownCloud is working, but it took the IP of the system, preventing nginx from starting, and even killing the current instance. Had to hook a monitor up to the box, shell in and change the IP of the new jail.

Bryn Ellis

Cadet
Just installed the owncloud plugin now problems.

Trouble is, I've no idea where to go next. I've added some owncloud storage but don't know how to access the owncloud website.

Any ideas please?

I spent some hours playing with owncloud yesterday. This is my experience:

Installation is very easy. Just pick owncloud and press install. Then you can access owncloud websetup which seems pretty failsafe even for noobs. From there you can upload files and folders to the "cloud" which in this case is your NAS owncloud server.

Next step is to install desktop client. I tried both Ubuntu and Windows.
Ubuntu: Just pick owncloud in the software bundle which comes with Ubuntu and install it. I got a bit older client but it still works.
Windows: Download client from owncloud.org and install.

When setting up owncloud desktop please NOTE THIS. Only unsecure connection works out of the box. Therefor you have to write the domain or IP as http://192.168.1.6 Then it will sync your local folder perfectly. If you type the IP as 192.168.1.6, then it will think this is a secure adress and change it to https://192.1678.1.6 and hence, the sync wont work.

This is as far as I come. Next step for me is of course to try to set up SSL secure connection if I want to sync from outside my own network. It seems difficult. The guides I have seen so far does not match my installation. apache22 folder is not in the same folder as in those guides. If someone get this to work. Please write a a guide for SSL below. Thanks.

Just installed the owncloud plugin now problems.

Trouble is, I've no idea where to go next. I've added some owncloud storage but don't know how to access the owncloud website.

Any ideas please?

After installation owncloud is listed in two locations, in "Plugins" and in "Jails". To enter the websetup, just click on the owncloud which is located under "Plugins". There will be a popup when you click it. If you dont get this popup, maybe your browser dont accept this popup, try another browser.

I found it immediately so I cant imagine that you didn't. No offence.

buck442

Dabbler
Hi,
Thanks for the tests. It’s very good to know that if it doesn’t work, there is something wrong on my side.
I have missed something.
I want to backup Windows PC use FreeNas 9.1.1 (which works quite well).
I downloaded and installed the plugin in the Jail and when I double-click the popup gives me an IP address.
This IP address seems ok and answers to ping requests.
I downloaded the ownCloud client also from owncloud.org and installed it.
When I type in the IP address given by the popup (http://192.168.0.31 in my case) in the ownCloud client, I get an error message saying that the connection to owncloud failed and the socket operation expired (the original message is in French, I hope the translation is understandable).
I’m a little bit lost.
From your experience, do I have to configure something in the client before trying to contact the server?
Or?
Thanks in advance

buck442

Dabbler
Hi,

While I'm trying to use onwCloud, I want to make a small documentation to help noobs (like me) to setup this fantastic plugin.

However, I'm stuck at the step 10. It's strange, because even if I don't use https before the IP address, the system asks me to confirm a SSL certificate. Then, the popup in witch I type in login/password waits for very very long (with the spinning wheel at the bottom).

I still miss something...

Do you have any idea?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Getting started with ownCloud v01.pdf
    370.8 KB · Views: 445
Status
Not open for further replies.