OS X can't save as sets read only permissions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Sanders

Cadet
Hi guys. Lurker turned new member here. I have been running a freeNAS box for a while for personal use for about 2 years now with no problems. Primarily in a network environment made up of only Mac computers and have had no issues.

I have now built a system and am having some odd behavior that I have been messing with now for 2 weeks and not getting anywhere with. Hoping some of you guru's can help me out. I know permissions is a tricky subject and I am guess this is not directly a permissions issue but probably something simple that I am just plain ignorant of. I will proceed with my system specs...

Dell Poweredge 2950 Gen3 - Dual Xeon 2 core Processors 16gb Ram with 6 WD Red 2tb drives. I have them setup as RaidZ2.

Volumes are setup with Nogroup Nobody and fulle 777 access
Each Share is setup to have owener= root and whatever group should have access to that share (eg: ArtDept,ItDept,ShipDept etc.)

Currently the drives are setup for CIFS sharing with the below settings.

Export Read Only: Not Checked
Browseable: Checked
Inherit Owner: Checked
Inherit Permissions: Checked
Inherit ACL's: Checked
Recycle: Not Checked
Show Hidden: Not Checked
Allow Guest: Checked
Only Guest: Not checked

So we have approx. 15 PC's on windows version from XP to 8 and they all work fine. I Also have 3 Macs, 2 on Mavericks (10.9) and 1 on Lion (10.7).

The problem I am having is on the Lion machine. in the Art Department. We have an excel file that is used to track orders that require art work. Its opened regularly through out the day each time they finish, start or send a job to production. They open the document, make the change, hit save and start the next job all over again.

Now on the new system each time they save this excel file it changes the permissions to be 644 and strips all ACL's off the drive from what I can tell (But I am still not the most familiar with how all these permissions are working. I am learning a lot though in the last two weeks.)

I can fix the document by simply opening either SSH or the shell from GUI and chmod 770 (the file name) but I have read that this is not a good practice to do either.

Right now our work around for this is that they are copying the document down from the network, making the change and then copying it back up to the network and that works just fine.

Any thoughts as to whats making this happen or a good place for me to continue my search for the answer? BTW, its also doing this with other documents. Not just excel. Illustrator, photoshop and Acrobat are doing it too. Oh, and its only seems to be on the one Mac.

Sorry for the long post. Don't mean to be long winded. I can give more details of what I have tried if that will be helpful but at this point I have just been taking random pokes in the dark and see if anything sticks. I am bamboozled. So any help would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.