Optimal amount of space for jails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richfear

Dabbler
So I’m in he process of building a system and trying to get an idea what kind of drive and the amount of space is suggested for jail storage. I’m going with a 120GB SSD for boot and I have another 128GB SSD collecting dust that I’m wondering if it’ll be enough. This system will mostly be used for file storage and streaming movies, 4K and HD to my nVidia shield. I may play around with Plex in the jail. I’ve looked around and people say they have usually less than 80GB for giant Plex collections, like 800 movies plus 4000 tv shows and stuff.

Other options I have is a 500GB WD raptor or a 750GB HGST 7.2k laptop drive. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garm

Wizard
Don’t do single drive pools even for jails, just put them in your storage pool unless you are able to build a dedicated SSD pool or atleast two drives in a mirror vdev

anmnz

Patron
I’ve looked around and people say they have usually less than 80GB for giant Plex collections, like 800 movies plus 4000 tv shows and stuff.

Are you confusing GB with TB? Or disk with RAM?

These numbers are off by orders of magnitude. A single high-quality movie rip can be way over 1GB.

pro lamer

Guru

These numbers are off by orders of magnitude. A single high-quality movie rip can be way over 1GB.
I thought the OP has a separate pool for data themself and the SSD was for the plugin itself. So... can plugins make any use of separate storage purely for the plugins themselves? (I don't know I am a noob). VMs can but jailed plugins?

Sent from my mobile phone

anmnz

Patron
Oh right, my apologies then, the question is about size of Plex metadata.

j0hnby

Explorer
Use the extra disk as a mirror for your boot to save you hassle if/when the single one dies. Then get another couple of disks for your jails seperately - I have two 160GB ssds running 7 jails, do the best you have around if it's a box you can play around with then you can upgrade them later. Or you can stick your jails on your main data pool - lots do.

garm

Wizard
A home server don’t need a dual ssd boot device, they are reliable enough. Only use for that would be if downtime is unacceptable

richfear

Dabbler

No. You’re confusing a jail with the storage of the movies. The movies would be in my storage pool or 16TB roughly, the jail would be on a separate, dedicated SSD or other drive.

richfear

Dabbler
Oh right, my apologies then, the question is about size of Plex metadata.

Pretty much, yeah. I’m just thinking that an SSD would help with all the Plex stuff and not have to put it all on the main pool. If the Plex SSD craps out out, it doesn’t matter. It’s not a mission critical plugin. More than likely, it’ll never be used.

silverback

Contributor
There are a number of posts about mount points for Plex metadata. If your metadata is on your main pool you can rebuild your jail in a matter of minutes. So redundancy for jails is probably nice, it is not completely necessary. imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.