OpenVPN and routing problem (I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meldrew

Cadet
Hi,

I'm probably missing something stupid as I'm new to FreeNAS and FreeBSD, although experienced with Windows (programmer/system administrator). I'm not quite sure what is relevant and what's not, so please excuse me for this!

I have FreeNAS 8.3.1 setup (on an old P4 PC) with transmission in a jail, which is working fine, but wanted to download anonymously, so have setup OpenVPN for use with an anonymous VPN service. I haven't used a jail for freenas as doing research it looked way complicated.

I have got the VPN working and I get the 'Initialization Sequence Completed.' message fine. I don't think that data is being transmitted down the tunnel correctly however. Certainly the interface for tun0 is only showing a few bytes to and fro (keepalive packets I'm guessing), nowhere near the amount of data that transmission is pushing around.

I tried using the FreeBSD fetch command to diagnose things. My ISP blocks the piratebay so I used this to test and tried to fetch the home page of the site. I got my ISP's block message. I also tried downloading a couple of meg file from a website to see what would happen. This appeared in the reporting > interface (tun0) as if it was coming through the VPN however.

I tried changing the default route to be the VPN tunnel IP (this end) but this caused a very quick keel over of FreeNAS as I think the OS drive filled up to capacity. I thought logs were the issue as I still had a fairly high logging level on OpenVPN, but lowering this and trying again caused the same.

If someone could point me in the correct direction I'd be very grateful and if there's something important I've not included above, just let me know.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Meldrew

Meldrew

Cadet
I tried using the FreeBSD fetch command to diagnose things. My ISP blocks the piratebay so I used this to test and tried to fetch the home page of the site. I got my ISP's block message. I also tried downloading a couple of meg file from a website to see what would happen. This appeared in the reporting > interface (tun0) as if it was coming through the VPN however.

Just wanted to clarify. I only mentioned piratebay as a test of where data is being sent (I don't use the site). Instead as a test I tried to fetch whatismyip.com and got an IP address of the VPN exit point - great (maybe the blocked page was a red herring). My query is I think therefore, why isn't transmission traffic being routed down the tunnel, or if it is, why isn't it appearing in the interface traffic graph.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Meldrew

Meldrew

Cadet
After much more googling I hit across a post about setting up bittorrent through Nas4Free saying 'Configure firewall rules to ensure all WAN traffic goes through the VPN'. They then provide a download of firewall rules.

Can I do something similar with FreeNAS or is it time I started thinking of trashing my FreeNAS install and going for NAS4Free instead?

Meldrew

Meldrew

Cadet
Hi,

For anyone else with the same problem. The answer is to give up, bin FreeNAS for good as unhelpful. Trash your install and instead install NAS4Free which works fine.

Meldrew

MuddSkipper

Cadet
So glad someone was able to help you...I'm having very similar issues. It is my belief the jail system is flawed in respect to anonymous downloading. You create a jail in a pseudo virtual machine with a different IP, but the openvpn program is pre-installed and running on the original freenas machine. I've seen explanations on how to set up the jail and to set up openvpn, however no one explains how to set up both. I asked a while back if there was a way to install transmission without using a jail and got the same response as you.

mdebatti

Cadet
Hello. Running in exactly the same kind of issues here.... have you sorted it out since?

Status
Not open for further replies.