Could really use help. OpenVPN/Routing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuddSkipper

Cadet
So I've been wrestling with this issue for a while and this is my second post. Done tons of google searches (including on this site) and can't find answers. Let me begin by letting you know I am running 8.3.1 beta2. I have successfully installed transmission by creating a jail. The jail and FreeNAS machine are both running on different IP addresses. I upgraded to 8.3.1 because I wanted to have the OpenVPN capability (sounded great in theory).

My issue now is when I connect to the VPN, it only connects the FreeNAS IP to the VPN. HOW can I change my machine so that all traffic, or at least the transmission plugin traffic, will tunnel through the VPN?

I am open to all resolutions BESIDES 'tunnel through router'. I do not want all traffic using VPN.

TIA

Caesar

Contributor
I think this is more of a basic networking issue rather than a freenas issue. I think all you need to do is log into the PluginJail and change the default route to your VPN's router IP.

MuddSkipper

Cadet
I agree, but maybe I am searching for incorrect queries. Do you (or anyone) know how to route the traffic from the jail interface (which I'm assuming is epair0a) through the tun0 the VPN creates? I believe if I can add this route it will fix my problem.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You should know the route based on your network topology...that's not something someone else can just give you to plug in and use.

Ramboxman

Explorer
Did you ever figure this out I am in the same situation?

MuddSkipper

Cadet
It seems no one had tried this or is unwilling. Since the original post I have upgraded my install to version 9 but have the same issues when playing with openvpn.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
It seems no one had tried this or is unwilling. Since the original post I have upgraded my install to version 9 but have the same issues when playing with openvpn.

Some of us prefer to use our router for VPN, therefore we have no use for OpenVPN on FreeNAS.

It sounds like you need to EXPORT your LAN to your openvpn client
you can try adding this to your client config:
Code:
route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

replacing 192.168.1.0 with whatever subnet you use.

Also, I don't really know what guide you followed, but I want to stress here that your OpenVPN subnet CANNOT be the same as your LAN. you cannot have openvpn handing out IPs within the same subnet of your LAN. It will not work. By the same token, if you use 192.168.1.0 subnet for your LAN and you are on a remote network with the same subnet, things will not work as well once you connect to VPN. You should plan out networks very carefully or they get messy quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.