Openvpn service(anonine) inside transmission jail, cannot connect to transmission web interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreasoz

Cadet
Hello all,

I have been using a openvpn service inside my transmission jail for a while, but I now switched to another vpn provider, anonine, and I can't access the transmission web interface via the vpn ip anymore.

The ifconfig is as follows:

tun0: flags=9051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,LINK0,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=80000<LINKSTATE>
inet 10.10.30.6 --> 10.10.30.1 netmask 0xffffffc0
nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>
Opened by PID 15032
Previously on my other vpn service, I only got one ip instead of "inet 10.10.30.6 --> 10.10.30.1". When I try check my external ip, I get a different ip each time I check.

I suspect it's due to some strange routing, but I am a noob and don't know much about that.

Also, pinging google, and downloading torrents works, I just can't access the interface via the external vpn ip. I can however connect to the LAN ip(192.168.1.3) and that still works. If I disable the vpn I can access the transmission interface and jail.

So my issue is really that I cannot add torrents via the webgui when the vpn is connected.

Any tips on how to solve my issue?

F1aX

Dabbler
It is not possible to connect to the public ip from anonine, since the port is not forwarded to you. You see, there're many users sharing the same public ip.

What you on the other hand CAN do, is to connect via SSH to your own IP and forward the transmission port (192.168.1.3:9091) via that connection. Then you could access your transmissionGUI from a remote location via http://localhost:8080

Last edited:

zoomzoom

Guru
If your purpose in having the VPN is not to hide your WAN IP, you may want to look into setting up your own OpenVPN server in a jail to route traffic through. It only takes ~ 30 - 45 min to set up and your own VPN server will provide higher throughput and lower latency. If you're interested in doing so, see my reply on another thread regarding Transmission and OpenVPN.

andreasoz

Cadet
Hello and thank you for your replies!

My vpn is used to hide my wan ip. I could connect to the vpn-ip when I used vpntunnel.se . I used a afraid.org and used a adyn to check for ip changes and apply them to my afraid.org dns domain. I could connect to my transmission web interface from everywhere with that method. With annonie that isn't possible, I cannot connect to transmission web-ui the with annonie vpn ip. Maybe that is standard for most vpn services?

As F1aX stated, I can use ssh and then use foxyproxy and connect to the web interface of transmission, but that is rather unconvinient when I want to add a torrent. Previosly I just download a torrent, then added it to transmission-qt and then it would be added to my server. Now I must download a torrent, SSH, Activate foxyproxy, access the web inteface(is it possible to still use transmission-qt with the ssh method?) and then add the ip. and then I am done.

If I could somehow configure transmission-qt to use my ssh tunnel it would be a big improvement. Is that possible and easy when I want to download stuff?

F1aX

Dabbler
You could easily set up a watch directory and push torrents to the directory via eg. owncloud. When you add torrents to the folder the are added automatically to transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.