Only seeing single nvme on pcie to nvme card - Dell R730xd - PERC H730 mini

MrSilver42

Cadet
Hello all,

Finally got my first home server. The plan was to have 2 SSDs mirrored as the OS drive, tons of large storage drives and any VMs and containers would run off NVMe drives. I got a 4x port pcie card that would allow you to plug in 4 NVMe drives into it. The system supports 4

MrSilver42

Cadet
Sorry hit submit before finishing. The system supports 4x4x4x4 Bifurcation so it should work. It will support that Bifurcation in pcie slot 4 and 6. Ι set it in the bios. I don't see the drives in idrac or bios. However, in truenas I see only a single nvme drive. Moving to either pcie slot only shows 1 drive. Swapping the Nvmes in the slots still only. Shows 1. I have 2 vnme drives. I even got a second card to rule out a bad card and plugged nvme in each card so we have 1 nvme in the pcie card in slot 4 and the other nvme in the second pcie card in slot 6.

Regardless of the setup I only. See a single nvme reported in truenas. Any ideas? I've buult PC's before but my first time putting a server together.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you install debian 11 do you see more than 1 NVME?

I suspect it's not SCALE that's the problem here and it's probably the BIOS not playing the game and showing the bifurcated slots to the OS.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
This thread may also provide something to look into...

MrSilver42

Cadet
If you install debian 11 do you see more than 1 NVME?

I suspect it's not SCALE that's the problem here and it's probably the BIOS not playing the game and showing the bifurcated slots to the OS.
I haven't tried debian. I tried Unraid trial and it shows the same thing. I egregious tried Windows 10 Pro and that crashed windows during boot.

MrSilver42

Cadet
Can you link the card in question? If it's one equipped with a PCIe switch, then you'll want to disable bifurcation.
I tried two different cards. I tried every combination of NVME drives, 2 on 1 card. 1 on each card. In PCIE slot 4 in PCIE slot 6. In any scenario. It only shows a single card.

Thank you for taking the time to investigate. It is very frustrating!

Attachments

• Board1.jpg
    Board1.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 36
  • Board1-close.jpg
    Board1-close.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Board2.jpg
    Board2.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Board2-close.jpg
    Board2-close.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 36

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Looks like a generic bifurcating riser. Based on some searching, it appears that you aren't the only one having issues with this specific hardware:

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/fs3lru/how_to_get_6_nvmes_working_in_the_r730_1_turn/

According to this user on Reddit, they weren't able to get their 4x card (ASUS HyperX M.2 V2) to function in either x16 slot. They went back to Supermicro 2x cards in the x8 riser slots, and enabled bifurcation on all of the riser slots (even unused ones) - this combined with some on-card jumper settings and UEFI mode resulted in success.

MrSilver42

Cadet
Looks like a generic bifurcating riser. Based on some searching, it appears that you aren't the only one having issues with this specific hardware:

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/fs3lru/how_to_get_6_nvmes_working_in_the_r730_1_turn/

According to this user on Reddit, they weren't able to get their 4x card (ASUS HyperX M.2 V2) to function in either x16 slot. They went back to Supermicro 2x cards in the x8 riser slots, and enabled bifurcation on all of the riser slots (even unused ones) - this combined with some on-card jumper settings and UEFI mode resulted in success.
thank you very much, I will try this route and return the cards I have now. I just need two nvme cards I can mirror for my apps.