Does the PCIe slot on the TrueNAS Mini XL+ support any 2 x or 4 x NVMe expansion card?

SwisherSweet

Contributor
I'm looking to add a 4 x NVMe card to the TrueNAS Mini XL+. It appears to have a x4 PCIe slot so I was thinking I could possibly fit a PCIe card having 2 or 4 NVMe drives. But, I'm not sure which cards are going to fit or be compatible.

My initial search found this x4 Sabrent card:

Does anyone have experience with this or other cards that will work in the TrueNAS Mini XL+?

Thank you.

Arwen

MVP
That particular card does seem like it would be compatible. It has a PCIe switch from ASMedia which is how the card avoids slot bifurcation. And it does appear like it would support 4 x M.2 M-Key NVMe drives.

Does the TrueNAS Mini XL+ support full height PCIe cards?

Just be aware that since it is a 4 lane PCIe 3.0 card, you can't get full performance out of any of the NVMe drives. Futher, it appears from the link you sent, Sabrent states that each M.2 M-Key slot is only 2 lanes wide, instead of 4. This was probably to reduce cost of the PCIe switch chip.

But, it should work fine. Perhaps someone else can chime in either with experience on that card, or another better card.