Only one hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voitl

Cadet
Hi Community,
I Installed FreeNAS on my old Notebook. Now i have a problem. I have only one HDD in my Notebook where i can Install FreeNAS. But now I cant create an Pool on this HDD. So I want to install the System and the storage on one Disk. Is this possible, until now is only working with an external USB- Stick.
Thank you for your help

Last edited by a moderator:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Try installing a virtual instance of FreeNAS on your desktop computer for evaluation purposes. I seriously doubt the old
notebook has the minimum 8GB of RAM needed to run the
latest version of FreeNAS (9.10.xx)
If you read the Hardware Recommendations Guide, that will
help you get a handle on hardware requirements for using
this great NAS software.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

melloa

Wizard
@Voitl - That's not a good idea. Even for testing you'd be getting a horrible experience and will abandon FreeNAS completely.

danb35

Hall of Famer
There are a couple of issues going on here. One is, as already mentioned, that a laptop will rarely have hardware that's anywhere close to being suitable for running FreeNAS, even for evaluation purposes. The second is that (as the installer tells you) whatever you use as the FreeNAS boot device will be used exclusively to boot the system. That device will be unavailable for storage. As a result, most people use a USB stick or a small SSD as the boot device--16 GB is the smallest recommend size any more, though it will work with a smaller device.

Voitl

Cadet
Thank you for your help. I have Installed the system on a 32gb USB Stick and used the internal HDD as NAS storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.