Installing FreeNAS on one harddisk possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robdyk

Cadet
Hello all.

I want to install FreeNAS on a laptop. this laptop has only one hard drive. Is it possible to create 2 partitions on the same disk? One partition for FreeNAS and the second partition or sharing files.

Or should I install FreeNAS on an external USB stick, and use my laptop harddrive for filesharing ?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

Hello all.

I'm want to install FreeNAS on a laptop. this laptop has only one hard drive. Is it possible to create 2 partitions on the same disk ? One partition for FreeNAS and the second partition or sharing files.

No.

or should i install FreeNAS on an external USB stick, and use my laptop harddrive for filesharing ?

That hardware is not recommended.

robdyk

Cadet
Hmm, so what you're saying is that i should abandon the laptop all together, and use a normal PC with more hard drives.
I already found out that FreeNAS won't install on a USB flash drive. It reports: dd : /dev/da0 operation not permitted. The FreeNAS installation on da0 has failed. Press Enter to continue..

Well that's clear... Ok thanks for your answer..

D

dlavigne

I allready found out that Freenas won't install on a USB flash drive. It reports: dd : /dev/da0 operation not permitted. The Freenas installation on da0 has failed. Press Enter to continue..

It does, as that is how it is meant to be installed. That error message sounds like your OS wants you to use sudo with the dd command.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Hmm, so what you're saying is that i should abandon the laptop all together, and use a normal PC with more hard drives.
No you should read the hardware guides found at the top of this forum in the resources section or the FreeNAS website for the recommended and minimum specifications for FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.