Only getting 10MBps on hard disk and SSD

Nas-dude

Dabbler
I am only getting a max speed of 10MBps
10-freenas.png

10-freenas-file.png

At first i thought it was my old spinning hard disks, or raid,

So i did a test. I added only a single disk of 1TB SSD and then tried transfer a file to it and i still got 10MBps

So it's not the old hard drives, im not sure what it could be.

My desktop(Linux Mint), switch(netgear) and router(freenas) are all gigabit ports,

I am using Windows SMB shares and Unix NFS Shares

how can i troubleshoot this

Heracles

Wizard
Hey Dude,

First thing is to give us all the details about your setup : hardware, software and status. A pool that is loaded at 95% can do this no matter the hardware it is running on. (Know that this is also very dangerous and is a high risk of loosing everything...).

So tell us everything first, you may have a chance to answer you after...

Nas-dude

Dabbler
I wasn't sure how much information you needed

I logged into my switch and all my ports said 1000 expect the one that my freenas is on said 100

strange!! so i changed the cable and it changed to 1000!

Here is my hard disk speed
speed.png

and ssd speed
speedSSD.png

how could a cable drop my speed to 100 on the switch and transfer speed 10, bad cable? i used my cable checker and it passes with no errors,

cable says:
Cat 6 T568B
UTP SP 10BUY
10 feet
QC#11398519U

my hard disk speed looks normal, but ssd speed is not much higher then the hard disk, i was expecting at least 500MBps for the ssd

also, now that i'm getting high transfer speeds, my memory is at 7.28 and i only have 8GB total of memory,

would that also affect transfer speed?

this is my first nas machine so i just used an old desktop and can't put more ram

Last edited:

Heracles

Wizard
Hi again Dude,

Good that you found the culprit in your network cable. It does not really matter why the cable is bad, you now have evidence that it is...

As for the speed against the SSD, there is a million thing that can affect performance. To do objective performance measurement is so difficult, you can basically consider it is impossible. Just to do 2 tests back to back and all the caching will come in to play. Any compression ? Encryption ? Dedup ?

There is a million thing that can interfere with performance testing. If your performance are good enough, stay there. If it is not good enough, tell us what kind of performance you need. Your setup may not be able to achieve that fast.

What kind of IO are you using for testing ? Random or sequential ? What kind of IO will you use day to day ?

Really, performance measurement is the one thing that is extremely difficult to achieve, even for the pros.