Slow Speed transferring via LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyC

Cadet
First post, see there are a few threads semi related to my issue but not exactly, feel free to refer me to anything relevant

Hardware is

Intel Pentium G3258
MSI G97M - Realtek Nic
8GB DDR3
4x 3TB Hitachi 7K3000
San Disk Ultra Fit 16GB

Just installed FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201508250051
Set up Raid 10 and CIFS sharing with a guest account as its on a home LAN for movies and such data.

My issue is I am only getting 10MBps transfer speeds on or off the NAS. I was expecting something alot better than that.
I am well aware I have most likely not configured or turned something that should be. What I have listed above is all I have done.

Any help appreciated, happy to provide any details to assist

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Didn't read your post but this is a problem 'Realtek Nic'. Fix this then see if you are still having issues.

JeremyC

Cadet
Oh I realize this and buying a drop in Intel nic is an easy solution, but should I really be seeing speeds like this?
I have seen similar builds with realtec in the 80 - 100MBps range, is this really the only thing I should change / be checking?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
10MB could also mean you don't have a gigabit connection. Your hardware isn't really recommended hardware. You could use a new motherboard that supported ecc memory and some new memory.

JeremyC

Cadet
What I have is spare parts and more space and redundnacy than my 2TB external HDD. I know it isn't recommended but it works.

Thanks for the info on the connection, just went into my modems web GUI, not having a gigabit connection seems to be the issue as you suggested, now to work out why.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
just went into my modems web GUI, not having a gigabit connection seems to be the issue as you suggested, now to work out why
Many (most?) ISP-supplied modems don't have Gigabit ports. You can work around this by connecting all your devices to an inexpensive, unmanaged Gigabit switch and connecting that to the modem. Make sure you use suitable cables.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
just went into my modems web GUI, not having a gigabit connection seems to be the issue as you suggested
Step 1 don't use the modem that your ISP gave you as a router. Just use it as a modem and use something else as a router so you can actually get features you need and want. If you want to get really into it don't use a router wifi combo and get a separate access point. Separating out these 3 devices will solve almost all network problems that common people have in their network. This also assumes you spend the time needed to configure everything.

JeremyC

Cadet
Looks up modem specs

"Includes one high speed Gigabit ethernet port and three standard ethernet ports for a wired connection"

So this is why I just assumed my modem was gigabit as the computer I normally use connected to it was receiving a gigabit connection.

JeremyC

Cadet
Thanks to everyone for your assistance.
Issue isolated and resolved by going all gigabit routes with my equipment.

Very happy with sustained read and write speed of 110MB/s+ with 1GB sized files and around half that with 1-5MB files.

Status
Not open for further replies.