only 2 out of 6 drives can be seen by freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

justvano

Cadet
I am new to the freenas game and have very amateurish and limited knowledge on programming and the like, so please forgive me for any ignorance.

My problem is that I have six drives, 3x1T, and 3x2T. When I try to install free as 9.2 only 2 of these 6 drives can be seen. Even after install only 2 drives are visible in the OS.

I am running:

Intel s5000psl MB
8x2gb pc2-5300f ram
A single Xeon processor (would have to look up the specs)
500w PSU
4gb thumb drive for os

When I first attempted to install freenas 5 of the 6 drives were visible. I have since attempted to update the bios and now only 2 drives are visible. Please help. If there is any other information you require key me know. Thanks.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Sounds like a cable issue. Have you tried to reseat the cables? (both power and SATA at both ends)

gpsguy

Are the 2 drives that are recognized, plugged in near the corner (II, JJ) of the motherboard? It looks like they are regular SATA ports, whereas the other 4 are SATA/SAS ports.

According to 3.2.2 of the manual "The SATA ports can beenabled/disabled and/or configured by accessing the BIOS Setup utility during POST."

I'd check your BIOS settings and see how the SATA ports are configured.

justvano

Cadet
Thank you for the suggestions. I will try both of your suggestions and get back to you.

justvano

Cadet
So I realize it has been months since I initially posted. I have looked into both suggestions so far and no change. I could not find any specific settings related to data/sas ports but I did reset to default settings and no change. If you have any other suggestions I would gladly give them a try.

On another note I'm also having an issue with my heatsink spinning up to the maximum rpm which makes for a really loud heatsink. I'm using a dynatron h6dg heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.