FreeNAS Install Failed - Checksum Error

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Hi;

I have created a FreeNAS USB Install Drive using a Verbatim 8GB USB stick and have downloaded the latest stable version of FreeNAS. I am trying to install on an Intel 40GB SSD Drive.
After the first failure I downloaded and dd'd a fresh download of FreeNAS, after the second failure I plugged the SSD Drive into my Windoze PC and tried to format it but it was not showing up in Computer. So I plugged it into my Mac and Erased it using DiskUtility, GUID Partition Table and ExFAT.
It then appeared on the Desktop.

Tried the FreeNAS install again and got the same error.

I do have a spare 320GB 2.5 SATA Drive should I try that?

The Motherboard is an Intel S5000VSA and I have 8GB (2 x 4GB) of Kingston PC2 5300F RAM

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Sorry, it’s a raise pkg exception checksum error as shown in the attached photo. It does not freeze as I can press enter and I am taken back to the Install GUI and from there I can shutdown.
C0711D72-5E88-465C-88AD-FB7165CD412A.jpeg

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Just downloaded a fresh version of FreeNAS and after a couple of fails (Windows crashed as it ended the RUFUS build), re downloaded on my Mac and created the USB Boot using dd.
I have now passed the:
active set on ada0
installing base-os (1 of 4)

Lets see how far we get but its progress :smile:

cfs

Cadet
I had the same error.... After many downloads and different installation targets etc. gave up on USB sticks and burnt a CD which worked first time.

1kokies

Contributor
I had the same error.... After many downloads and different installation targets etc. gave up on USB sticks and burnt a CD which worked first time.
i wanted to post an article on this on this forum but here it goes

1. Assuming downloaded 11.2 U6 (11.1 U7 have options for dd)
2. Download Rufus
3. USB to delete all partitions, a quick way is to use diskpart and do a clean command. Partition can be MBR or GPT, does not matter ya
4. Launch Rufus>boot selection>UEFI:NTFS. Then Select the ISO downloaded. If boot selection is chosen as 'Disk or ISO image' with Windows as OS you will get BSOD (the ISO creates a GPT Protective Partition which Windows will have problems)
5. Complete Rufus install to USB about 1-2 minutes only, the USB will ready to boot & install.
6. Now we have the Freenas installer ready.
7. Plug into target build, go into Bios and these are the few things that needs to look out for, depending on mobo & Bios
a) if Bios has some kind of dashboard go to Advance
b) go to Boot>CSM>enable>allow for UEFI and Legacy, for all (there are boot device, storage device, pcie device etc)
c) normally just at bottom of CSM is Secure Boot>allow other OS
d) at boot selection should be able to see the USB UEFI partition, boot priority to that or toggle and boot a few times to alternate selection
8. i have not tried Legacy Bios on this as most nowadays are UEFI but with CSM enabled it should boot.
9. After booting and upon install, at some point it will ask for installer for either UEFI or BIOS (Legacy), depending on mobo Bios choose the right one ya.
10. Complete install to re boot and if it does not then go to Bios to toggle options at #7

caveat=this is for UEFI mobo, i have not tried on Bios(Legacy) but do try and see if it works, it should not be very far apart. Basically it does work ya, it's how we alternate those settings at Bios.

still problems can post here, i am still up for another hour

Last edited:

1kokies

Contributor
Just downloaded a fresh version of FreeNAS and after a couple of fails (Windows crashed as it ended the RUFUS build), re downloaded on my Mac and created the USB Boot using dd.
I have now passed the:
active set on ada0
installing base-os (1 of 4)

Lets see how far we get but its progress
same steps as above i believe, however if 11.1 U7 ISO, Rufus can dd which will not have any problems in BSOD. Only 11.2 U6 i used the above method and all went 100%. Sorry the very late post but hope it's helpful to others in future