One time ZVOL snapshot copy for backup etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avaneesh

Cadet
Hello everyone,

New to Freenas, I tried searching on the forum if this topic was discussed before. As i could not find anything satisfactory, I am starting a new thread.

Setup:

Freenas 9.2.1, created a ZFS pool [sata0], created a zvol dataset [os_drives], created a ZVOL and I am using this ZVOL as an iSCSI device extent which is then attached to linux server.

Question:

So, my question is how do I go about creating a point in time copy or a snapshot of said ZVOL, set it to RW and then attach it to my linux machine.

Currently the only option for snapshot in Freenas is periodic snapshot which is handy but not what I am looking for. I want to create snapshot of the ZVOL at a specific time.

Sorry for being verbose.

Thanks in advance.

enemy85

Guru
Are you sure it is possible to do snapshot of ZVOL?

Avaneesh

Cadet
Well,, there is an option for creating periodic ZVOL snapshots on the version 9.2.0.

enemy85

Guru
Ah ok, I didn't know because in 9.1.1 was not like that

Avaneesh

Cadet
Honestly, I am not sure if the periodic snapshot feature allows you to create a singular snapshot in time.

Avaneesh

Cadet
Hi Dlavigne, thanks for the link. I will take look. However, i must confess I dont remember see the snapshot button when I select the ZVOL. But I will check again.

Avaneesh

Cadet
So..i believe I have the solution and it has nothing to do with Freenas.

Dlavigne, I did not have those buttons to create the snapshots as I mentioned. As it turns out, it was a java issue. Switching my browser from chrome to IE has fixed the issue.

Since, I am new to Freenas, I did not know if I missing something in web gui.

Anyways, fixing java seems to be the solution.

Thanks for your help.

Avaneesh
Freenas gui inside Chrome.png
Freenas gui inside IE.png

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You may be the only person on the planet to every claim that IE was better than Chrome with FreeNAS. FreeNAS has been broken with IE for so long I'm not sure it ever worked.. LOL

Avaneesh

Cadet
Come on I am not claiming that IE is better, just in this scenario it helped me figure something out.

Personally, that is the very reason that I have been using chrome, the entire time. It was a last ditch effort as I was being driven crazy, since every article i read, just said to click the take snapshot button...and I kept thinking .."where is this #@$#@!%&& button??"

Any ways. I am using Windows 8.1, so this might be the latest iteration of IE. I will make sure my java is up to date and then hopefully chrome will workout.

Status
Not open for further replies.