One nic for internet and second for lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

brycelarge

Cadet
Hi all,

I would like to have my freenas use one nic for all internet, so all plugins like transmission will use the one nic for external access then I want to have the other nic fo all internal network, like my shared folders, plex connections etc.

Is that at all possible and if so how can I accomplish this?

Thanks.

I'm curious why would want to do this, so NIC 1 has plex/transmission and FTP access only, and NIC 2 has CIFS access + plex and other plugins? Like you want them separated?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Assuming per-jail NICs are working (dunno what the status of that is), this would be something handled on your router's side.

brycelarge

Cadet
Well the reason for this is because in South Africa where I am located, Im struggling to find an uncapped internet service that doesn’t shape P2P and now that I finally have found an unshaped service I cant afford a really fast package so I want to have an slower unshaped uncapped service for my freenas server and then the other faster shaped internet connection for just browsing.

So I have two routers both on different subnets, first routers default gateway is 192.168.0.1 and the other is 192.168.10.1, so I would like the freenas server to access the internet using the 192.168.10.1 gateway.

Hope that makes more sense?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
The 2 NICs would not be able to have the same IP addressing, is that OK? Meaning you must have 2 separate networks. To put another way, you can't have 192.168.1.15 on one NIC and 192.168.1.16 on the other NIC. The network to the Internet could be 192.168.1.15 and the internal network could be something like 10.10.1.15.

brycelarge

Cadet
Yes the two NIC cards can have completely different ip addresses, Ill only access Freenas with the one NIC card the other Freenas can use to connect to the internet.

Router 1: Default Gateway - 192.168.0.1
Router 2: Default Gateway - 192.168.10.1 - This is the one I would like Freenas to use to connect to the internet

Apollo

Wizard
If you go that route, maybe you want to invest on software/hardware based firewall such as pFsense or the like and use multiple NIC to handle internet and LAN access.
Based on numerous posts on this forum, it has been deemed a bad idea to directly expose Freenas box to the internet.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
If you go that route, maybe you want to invest on software/hardware based firewall such as pFsense or the like and use multiple NIC to handle internet and LAN access.
Based on numerous posts on this forum, it has been deemed a bad idea to directly expose Freenas box to the internet.

I don't think @brycelarge is planning to forward any ports to his FreeNAS machine, he just wants it to have access to the Internet for plugins/jails/NZB/torrents/flying the black flag, ahoy thar matey. That's relatively safe.

Apollo

Wizard
I don't think @brycelarge is planning to forward any ports to his FreeNAS machine, he just wants it to have access to the Internet for plugins/jails/NZB/torrents/flying the black flag, ahoy thar matey. That's relatively safe.
Is there a real benefit in splitting FREENAS nic over two dedicated lanes?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Is there a real benefit in splitting FREENAS nic over two dedicated lanes?

In this case I don't think it's really a split that he needs, just for FreeNAS to use 192.168.10.1 as its default gateway.

He wants it to only access the Internet over the gateway located at 192.168.10.1, which leads to an unmetered connection that he can use to merrily hoover down bits all day. But he still wants it accessible from his other machines that live on the 192.168.0.1/24 subnet. And if he's got an IP in both ranges it should work fine if he sets the IPv4 default gateway to the 192.168.10.1 IP address, and then doesn't do anything silly like forward CIFS/NFS traffic to it "so that he can access his files remotely"

wreedps

Patron
I see no reason to split it on to two networks, unless performance is a issue.

Only NAT the ports you need at the firewall to FreeNases private IP.

Call it a day, drink a beer.

brycelarge

Cadet
Hey guys, so I finally got the second internet connection and been trying and trying but I'm not getting anywhere. Is this at all possible and if so how would I do this?

I see no reason to split it on to two networks, unless performance is a issue.

Only NAT the ports you need at the firewall to FreeNases private IP.

Call it a day, drink a beer.

I think the whole deal here was due to internet connections being metered and traffic shaping being applied. I don't know the whole situation but maybe drop the metered shaped connection completely.

Hey guys, so I finally got the second internet connection and been trying and trying but I'm not getting anywhere. Is this at all possible and if so how would I do this?

If you are having particular jails only accessing the unmetered connection you will need to go into that jails configuration and click on the advanced button. Near the bottom you will see a drop down box for "NIC" select the one you are wanting to use for the unmetered connection. After saving you may have to restart the jail but it should get a new DHCP from that connection rather than the metered one.

I am not 100% on this but it's my best guess to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.